Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chinese Pistache - male or female?

Posted by glenn9643 z8 LA (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 15, 06 at 7:54

I bought a Chinese Pistache last winter from one of the box stores, and at the time couldn't determine if it had produced berries because it was dormant. It was about 6-7' tall when planted. Growth through the summer has been moderate and it appears to be healthy but has not produced any berries yet.
Should I just write this one off as a male tree and try to find a female while berries should be on it, or does it take a few years for them to produce the berries?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chinese Pistache - male or female?

It could easily be a few years before it settles in well enough to start flowering. Look out for the flowers in spring/early summer, and see if they have stamens or a stigma.

Resin

o

Just wondering...is there a reason to prefer female over male trees? I thought the flowers/berries weren't very showy.

o

Though it varies from plant to plant, the berries can be very showy. It is also 'said' that female trees exhibit the best fall color, but I can't speak to that.

o

I have four males and one female.

Main difference is you get alot of little seedlings if you have a female. As to color, I would say my female has kind of been middle of the pack. Neither the best nor the worst.

Of course, you know how that is, it could be any number of factors not related to sex that has that result in my particular set up. My female is in the middle of the trees which run east-west and they are all on a curb strip.

female is third from left
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

two males on the left in first picture

a male on far left in first picture

o
correction

The female CP is fourth from left in top photo.

o

I have a one year old Chinese Pistache tree which the nursery said was a hybrid and would have nuts--eg, it did not require a male and female.
Is that possible ??
Thanks,
Tom
South Carolina

o

Explain.

Chinese Pistache do not produce 'nuts'.

o

rcnaylor, that is amazing color and beautiful shape.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here