Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nevik1977

Cut down old tree - need ideas for replacement.

nevik1977
9 years ago

Hi Gardenweb people.

We just cut down an old Silver maple (stump is scheduled for grinding). I had thought to plant a new tree to the right of house center (maybe 10' right from stump center). I would then remove the two azeala bushes (next to steps) that encompass the light pole to make a low flowerbed in that area. More work is needed in this area but a new tree is becoming a priority.

Looking at this picture the sun sets on the 4 o'clock hand (pic taken around 12 noon). If I move the tree to right center I may get alittle bit of wanted shade but not much. Most shade will cast over my left neighbors driveway and left corner of my house. So a shade tree is not a must; since I won't really get the benefit, but certainly an option.

Im looking to spruce up the curb appeal. I had thought about a Plum tree for the rich color, Crepe Myrtle tree, October Glory (shade option), Zelkova (shade option).

Given the location, conditions are on the dry side and area quickly slopes away toward street.

Im open to any and all ideas. Im alittle anxious since this is an oportune time to plant a tree. I'd hate to miss this window.

BTW
Grass area to the right of my driveway is my neighbors property. I may try to talk them into buying them a shade tree which would benefit both curb appeal and maybe some shade on my driveway side.

Thanks for reading.
I brought his topic up before and have since cut down the tree.
I thought I'd post again for further consideration...still not exactly sure what to do.

And I know, house looks like Amityville Horror house with attic windows :)
Thanks again.

Comments (3)