Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with tree identification

Posted by tgtcat6 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 9:03

So I've been trying to identify this tree for a few days now; it was growing in one of my flower beds and I originally thought it was going to be a black walnut, but that's obviously not the case.

Any help would be appreciated; I think I've determined it's not listed on any of the invasive species lists that I've found online, so that's a start. I have a hunch it's just a "weed tree" but I'd like to know what it is before removing it.

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with tree identification

Where are you located (approximately)? Obviously you recognize that you are dealing with a compound leaf. Hickory is an option. If you pull off a leaf/leaflet, is there a strong odor?

o

I'm in northwest ohio. What was interesting to me was that some of the "branches" have leaves directly across from each other while others are offset. There is zero smell if I pull a leaf; I even tore the leaf in half after that and crushed it. For what it's worth, the leaves are fuzzy.

Do you think the leaves are compound? I was thinking those were branches, giving me a simple-type leaf

This post was edited by tgtcat6 on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 20:56

o

Not a hickory - butternut - J.cinerea; or, could be Japanese walnut, J.ailantifolia, its budsport the heartnut. J.ailantifolia var. cordiformis - or a hybrid of butternut with one of the J.ailantifolias.

DNA fingerprinting has revealed that a number of 'butternut' cultivars which are exhibiting resistance to butternut canker are actually hybrids.

o

Lucky, do these hybrids make Butternut nuts. In other words, would somebody like me be able to tell the nuts apart? (The average farm boy-type.) The reason I ask is because i would plant the hybrid. If I can get the nut without the threat of the canker, the purist in me goes out the window.

o

Yes that is a compound leaf. Come fall, that whole thing will separate and fall off, proving to all that it was a leaf after all. :)

o

I agree with Lucky butternut, heartnut, or hybrid of the two.

o

Thanks for the responses. So this is something I should let continue to grow instead of removing?

o

Is there enough room around it to reach mature size? This gets to be a good sized tree.

o

Yep, plenty of room. Wikipedia tells me it'll normally get 60-90 feet, which is no issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here