Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not exactly a tree question...but how do you kill bamboo?

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 9:17

How would you remove a huge (probably about a fifth of an acre total!) thicket of bamboo, I believe it to be Phyllostachys aurea, permanently?

Not my property, but a coworker who knows I'm a "plant guy" (in his words) has a bunch that he is trying to get rid of.

RU it all, then slash it down?? I'm not sure the best option for him.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not exactly a tree question...but how do you kill bamboo?

use the method at the link ....

cut first.. apply second.. repeat ad nauseum until dead ..

might take a year or two ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I would cut it down, and keep mowing the area and replant with desired species. Many times chemicals wont kill the rhizomes, and you just douse your yard in them. 1/5 of an acre is a lot of herbiscide.

It is just as effective to remove the shoots you see come up with a mower, which ends up eliminating the startch in the rhizome, therfore killing it.

You may think about selling the culms and or making divisions for cash. If its aruea, lots of people love that bamboo! You can crags list " free bambo odiisions, come take your fill" and people may be able to do some of the work!

o

its readily apparent that canada did not read the link

minimum RU

ken

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 16:34

I have killed it with Roundup. Took several times a year for two years to get rid of some of my Phyllostachys aurea. The cut off stems got almost as hard as rebar, impossible to mow unless it comes up in the lawn or other flat surface.
I sprayed mine, then waited for it to die. When new sprouts came up, I sprayed them ASAP. I finally got rid of the stand.
When I burned the dead bamboo it sounded like a big gun fight.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here