Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdrz6

Neighbor's New Trees

jdrZ6
10 years ago

Hurricane Sandy wiped me out, had to remove all of our mature beautiful evergreens that were damaged. Three hemlocks in particular provided heavy screening between us and our neighbors.

After doing lots of research, I decided to plant two rows of 6' Thuja Green Giants, spaced approx 7 feet on center, with the rows approx 7 feet apart. The back row of 4 were planted along the property line. I planted these last March and they have done beautifully.

Well, our neighbor's landscaper just planted two 8' Norway spruces right against our back row on their property line. Of course that is their right, but two pairs of their NS/our GG are about 4-5' apart, with the branches already touching. NSes get wide and huge and grow relatively quickly.

I am concerned about this. Previously planted NS's by our neighbor have been pruned annually by their landscaper, including topping. I also trim those NS's encroaching branches. I don't know if they plan to do the same with these.

I am tempted to move my two affected GG as far away as possible from the two new NSes. But I am also tempted just to keep shearing/ pruning any encroaching branches on their new trees.

Thoughts?

Comments (6)

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Some people just have no respect for property lines. One of my neighbors had populars 3' off the lot line. They had split apart at some point so they where very shrubby at the bottom and interfered with mowing.

I just called the neighbor and asked kindly if I could cut them down, grind the stump and plant grass. He said no problem.

I still have another neighbor that has a 60' poplar 6 to 8' off the lot line. Thing scares the hell out of me because its 30' from my house. Has a massive co-dom. These trees full part more so in my area than silver maple and pear combined.

Still trying to figure out how to ask them to cut it down (since I can't do it myself). I'm thinking about asking if they will split the removal cost and explain the issues with the tree. Its sending up suckers in my garden, drop branches like crazy and its a female on top of that so it drops all those fruits.

I guess my point is that you may want approach your neighbor in a non confrontational manner and explain how big the plants get and perhaps ask if you can replant them for them further away from the lot line....hmmm, although they are 8'.

Other than that I'd be tempted to move the Green Giants. The Norway is more shade tolerant and may swallow your GGs....unless you really keep up with the pruning.

The good news is that Norway Spruces are quite majestic if they are given proper cultural requirements.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

I think Ken has the best plan if the neighbor's trees line up right.

Use your neighbor's trees to your advantage. Tell him how much you like them. Get your $.02 in on pruning advice if you want them high or low in a decade or two.

Think of his trees as part of your privacy fence which you won't have to pay for removal of after any potential future storm!

My home had seven white ash when I moved in. What doya know, a bug is on the way which has killed all the white ash elsewhere.

Two local municipalities planted a few miles of burning bushes along U.S. 67. Wouldn't you know it, they are all suffering similar problems.

Mono culture = problems.

• campv 8b AZ
    10 years ago

I have a neighbor who likes to plant right on the property line and sometimes over. You planted on the property line and now you are complaining about him. Shame on you. He must not have liked the look of what you planted or else why spend the money. I am afraid you made the error and now must deal with it. Not trying to be mean just been there. Sorry

• Sequoiadendron4
    10 years ago

I have planted young trees near our property line. If my neighbor was to plant trees near his side of the property line I wouldn't care. Being a neighbor is about give and take. Personally, I think Norway Spruce is a way nicer tree than GG, so I'd move the GG and put them somewhere else. Not to mention your GG will likely outgrow the NS in the first 10 years before they catch up.

All in all, I hope we never have a Sandy again and then you won't have to worry about losing any more trees :)

• jdrZ6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Campv

Spend 2 minutes and actually read my post. I never complained about my neighbor. In fact, I clearly wrote that he had every right to plant there. All I said is that I was concerned about my trees, which is the reason for my post.

Why you are so quick to say "shame on you" is pretty revealing.

Everyone else: thanks for your advice.