Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louloulilac

What to plant near septic and river

L A
10 years ago

If I Plant birch close to a river will the roots still go toward my septic field? I have a lot of land that had to be clear cut and I'm trying to fill it in again but I am dealing with 2 homes and 2 septic fields in an area with many springs and water problems, we are also in a hill and a lot of water is coming down the hill when it rains. I'd like trees to help with soil erosion and water. The areas I'm looking to plant would be near a stream or river (5 feet) and 40 feet from septic and the other area is 20 feet + from the house foundation.

Comments (7)

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

That might depend on what kind of septic system you have and how old it is. Some of the newer systems could deal with that just fine. Our county environmental agent told me we could plant river birches BETWEEN the laterals! He swore it would be just fine, but it isn't something we wanted to try. Our system is only seven years old.

As for trees preventing erosion, I'm not so sure that's a great plan. The best thng for preventing erosion is grass. The roots are thick and fibrous and will always do the best job. I don't supposed you could plant some groupings of ornamental grasses or native grasses, could you? That would be ideal.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

That might depend on what kind of septic system you have and how old it is. Some of the newer systems could deal with that just fine. Our county environmental agent told me we could plant river birches BETWEEN the laterals! He swore it would be just fine, but it isn't something we wanted to try. Our system is only seven years old.

As for trees preventing erosion, I'm not so sure that's a great plan. The best thng for preventing erosion is grass. The roots are thick and fibrous and will always do the best job. I don't supposed you could plant some groupings of ornamental grasses or native grasses, could you? That would be ideal.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i would not be thinking of large trees...

but of large shrubs ...

i dont understand .. with all the water around.. how you have a functioning septic system ...

what type is it??

ken

• edlincoln
    10 years ago

I don't think trees would be a problem near your septic field...they would suck up water and help. They might be a troblem near your septic tank.

A meadow of unmowed native grass in an environment it grows well is the best for fighting erosion. (Eg Virginia Wild rye or Canada Wild Rye) Not sure a manicured, mowed lawn of imported grass selected for color growing in an environment it is not well adapted for (ie, a typical lawn) is as good as trees. Spreading shrubs actually might be good for both growing over a septic field and erosion control.

Conceptually I sort of like the idea of Red Alder and chokeberry, but have never grown them.

• drpraetorius
    10 years ago

If you are having a problem with water in the soil from the springs etc. a combination of trees, shrubs and grasses would help with that. The birches would probably work. Not knowing your area it is kind of hard to be more specific. Look at native waterways in your area. Plants that grow there would grow in your situation. However be careful not to plant invasive or weed species. If you see something you like in the wild and can't identify, get a picture or sample and have it identified here or by a nursery.

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

you can get a wet meadow/ detention basin seed mix from priaire moon nursery....takes a little bit to get going but after a few years you will have a beautiful meadow that will take care of its self.....will limited trimming...I think you got to mow it every few years or so to keep trees from growing.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Please read the linked article. It deals with plantings over your leach fields. If you much them up, it's not pretty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscaping over septic drain fields