Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chazman113

Breaking in Tips for Recently planted trees in clay soil

chazman113
9 years ago

I recently planted a River Birch, Eastern Redbud and Several Wax-Leaf Privets on my property. I quickly found out my soil is extremely clay only a few inches down. I did my best to break it up as deep as I could and tried to score the sides of each hole to break it up, however it is still clay! The guy at the garden center recommended I water them in the morning and night for a few weeks but I'm concerned the water will not drain well enough near the bottom because of the clay soil and I might be over-watering. When I've been watering I've waited until the mulch starts pooling (1 or 2 minutes with the hose wide open). Any tips for this situation?

Comments (8)

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

Welcome to the trials of gardening in clay soil. What I do, asides from breaking clay lumps as you did, is to go easy on watering. If clay feels cool, I don't water, also, you're going into cool season so they won't require as much moisture. I don't know about birch but privet and redbuds grow very well in my clay soil. I just water a minute or so daily for two weeks or until I noticed new growth, then stop and let Nature take over.

That is not to say I haven't had failures b/c of unamended soil but cost is a consideration and if a native or something common I may not amend or do so just a little.

• chazman113
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, so maybe just in the afternoon rather than morning and afternoon? Would it hurt to continue watering after 2 weeks? Should I water it deeply say, every sunday, until it gets cold and possibly in the spring?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

please review the link ..

and then lets talk about replanting your plants properly ... in regard to clay soil ...

and then lets ignore everything your guy told.. after you read the part about proper watering ...

you have all fall to take care of this.. but in the meantime.. dont drown you plants ...

also ... do a perk test .. and lets see what the drainage is in your soil ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• chazman113
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cool yea I read the article and it seems I did everything right with the exception of roughing up the soil below the root ball. I'm going to let that one ride, by the same token I've read articles where it says you should not compact the back fill at all so it's hard to believe any one thing. I seems counterintuitive that leaving the soil below the plant compacted (especially if it is pure clay) would "help" with drainage. I'll def use the "Finger test" they describe to gauge if I need to water.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

Backfill should absolutely be "settled in". This can be done by what some call "mudding-in" (filling the planting hole with water as you add soil, so that the soil is washed into place) or by lightly tamping with a foot or hand. Not doing this (in most soil types) will create large voids in the soil and produce perched water pockets with poor drainage. There are advantages and disadvantages to either technique (mudding-in or light foot tamping), but both are far better than leaving the backfill unsettled.

The reason to leave the bottom of the planting hole alone (not "fluffing" it up) is to reduce settling, not to increase drainage. HOWEVER, fluffing up the bottom of the hole in clay soil also isn't going to help drainage. Picture a bathtub with the drain mostly blocked. Now picture this same tub with light fluffy dirt added to the bottom. Will it drain better? NO! Even if you were able to "fluff" the soil very deeply and down to a non-clay layer (you'd probably have tie your tree to a hoist to keep it above ground, when you did this), that fluffed soil would relatively quickly reconsolidate and drain as before.

Most trees will do fine in most clay soils, but if your soil is extremely poorly draining, berms or large raised beds may be the way to go.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Where in "Lower DE" is there clay soil? I would have thought there was very little of it south of the canal.

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Use mulch. That brings in small critters (like earthworms and roly pollies) as well as beneficial fungus that will break down the mulch into organic matter and gradually improve the soil below them. As the mulch breaks down, replenish each year.

• chazman113
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Forreal davidrt28, I've always had super easy to work sandy soil here. I live in a development and it seems they went out of their way to find the worst backfill possible. Its 90% clay, 8% rocks, 2% construction debris, hah

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting