Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

How They've Fared...mini tree tour

whaas_5a
13 years ago

Since I might be leaving my current home of 3.5 years, I'll share what I've grown so far (since many of you have been the inspiration behind my choices). Nothing too exciting as most if not all are shown outside of their "prime" season...today is a boring, rainy, cloudy day, lol.

What: Wolf Eyes Dogwood

Planted: Spring 2010 - 3'

Exposure: South

Thoughts: Shows great promise. Leaves curled most the season due to exposure but as it gets more shade and settles in, it will be a great addition.

{{gwi:430948}}

What: Paperbark Maple

Planted: Spring 2010 - 3'

Exposure: Southwest

Thoughts: Shows great promise even in this "not recommended" exposure. Though to find nicely branched specimans to show off the bark...pretty happy with this one.

{{gwi:349372}}

What: River Birch

Planted: Fall 2007 - 6'

Exposure: Northwest

Thoughts: As expected put on tremendous growth. Good started tree if you have the moisture.

{{gwi:358483}}

What: Merril Magnolia

Planted: Fall 2008 - 3'

Exposure: North

Thoughts: Near a downspout so it may be exhibiting a little yellowing from the water. Otherwise good strong grower. Blooms suffer a bit due to the exposure.

{{gwi:430950}}

What: Spring Snow Lilac Tree

Planted: Fall 2008 - 6'

Thoughts: This tree is sujected to spring flooding and therefore I beleive it has suffered. Growth is quite thin and I didn't get any blooms this year. Beyond that I believe its best Lilac tree cultivar (given a well drained location).

{{gwi:430951}}

What: Autumn Blaze Mutli Stem Maple

Planted: Fall 2008 - 6'

Thoughts: As expected put on tremendous growth. I don't expect the tree to hold up for 30 years, but I still like the smooth multi-stem look...tough to find.

{{gwi:430952}}

What: Seven Son Flower

Planted: Fall 2009 - 5'

Thoughts: The leaves are a bit tattered from wind exposure and it did suffer minor dieback during a very mild winter so I don't have alot of blooms right now. Still a great tree, just better off in a slightly protected area.

{{gwi:247077}}

What: Coralburst Crabapple

Planted: Fall 2007 - 2'

Thoughts: Started out very slow but seemed to fill in nicely this year. Rabbits chewed on the trunk this spring and it healed nicely. Flower show is quite impressive, but limited fruit production.

{{gwi:430954}}

What: Katsura

Planted: Fall 2009 - 5'

Exposure: West

Thoughts: Although planted in fall it had amazing amber fall color last year. I can't wait to see what it does this fall. This tree is in partial shade and seems to do nicely, hasn't put on much growth this year.

{{gwi:430955}}

What: Crusader Hawthorn

Planted: Spring 2009 - 5'

Thoughts: Slow grower with great multi-season interest. Fall color last year was quite amazing (yellowish red) It has exhibited cedar rust on the leaves and fruit. Nothing too severe.

{{gwi:430956}}

What: Swamp White Oak

Planted: Spring 2010 - 6'

Thoughts: I really love this tree...shape, leaves, peely bark. Looks great even in its first year. Interested to see what it does for fall color.

{{gwi:430957}}

What: Celebration Maple

Planted: Spring 2007 - 10'

Thoughts: Extremely vigorous even in a dry, gravely location. Trees do exhibit some frost cracking due to the exposure. Fall color last two years has been quite poor.

{{gwi:430958}}

What: Leonard Magnolia

Planted: Spring 2008 - 3'

Thoughts: Love the pink blooms. Doing quite well in a dry loation. Quite shapely.

{{gwi:384579}}

What: Homestead Buckeye

Planted: Spring 2010 - 5'

Thoughts: Had some dieback during the growing season, but the foilage has fared nicely throughout the growing season. It did put out nice creamy yellow blooms.

{{gwi:430959}}

What: Autumn Blaze Pear

Planted: Spring 2007 - 6'

Thoughts: Has actually been slower growing. Otherwise great ornamental for a dry location. Much better branching than its counterparts.

{{gwi:430960}}

What: Autumn Gold Ginkgo

Planted: Fall 2008 - 5'

Exposure: Souteast

Thoughts: My pride and joy. Fall color can be short lived but what a little beauty. I search for over a year to find one with this branching habit.

{{gwi:401711}}

What: Vernal Witchazel

Planted: Fall 2008 - 3'

Exposure: Southeast

Thoughts: Not really a tree by any means, but with potential to be 10' I can't wait. The coarse texture and harvest gold fall color is stunning.

{{gwi:430961}}

What: Sterling Silver Linden

Planted: Spring 2010 - 7'

Exposure: East

Thoughts: Really tough to find a good branching speciman. I think this had to small of a rootball and just hasn't put on good growth. Earlier in the season the silver undersides glistened in the sun. Interested to see the fall color.

{{gwi:430962}}

What: Heritage River Birch

Planted: Spring 2009 - 6'

Exposure: Northeast

Thoughts: As expected put on tremendous growth. The bark is much more white than salmon compared to my straight species. Another good choice for a starter tree...very tough to find a straight single stem tree.

{{gwi:341811}}

What: Musclewood

Planted: Spring 2010 - 5'

Exposure: East

Thoughts: This was such a stately shaped tree, I'm disappointed that its not doing well. I think it was to do with the rootball size (alot of soil pushed up around the trunk). It will either perish or will suffer alot of dieback over the winter.

{{gwi:430963}}

What: Star Magnolia

Planted: Fall 2008 - 2'

Thoughts: The most florecious of my magnolias. Its in partial shade. Quite slow growing but very full.

{{gwi:335716}}

What: Autumn Brilliance Serviceberry

Planted: Fall 2007

Thoughts: This guy protected nicely but has continued to struggle. It has never filled out but the leaves it has had have exhibited goo fall color...it is fairly defoliated this year so not much to expect this year.

{{gwi:51371}}

What: Amur Maakia

Planted: Fall 2008

Exposure: Southwest

Thoughts: Starts to look poorly this time of year with browning leaves and flower pods but the silver emerging leaves in spring and white spikely blooms in early July are quite stunning.

{{gwi:430966}}

Comments (17)

• restorephoto
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A great idea! Thanks for sharing. If you do leave, someone is going to "inherit" an amazing collection. I hope they appreciate what you've started.

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

That's quite the arboretum. Shame you have to part with it so soon.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

I always love your pics, whaas. If you do move, I hope we will see the before and after as I have no doubt you will create something equally wonderful wherever you are! Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and my serviceberry looks worse than yours. I am just glad it is still alive since that is one of the trees/shrubs dug up by the idiot dogs when first planted.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

An excellent collection, whaas.

Dax

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    13 years ago

I like your variety. Putting them all together in one neat organized post gives me a better idea of what you have going on.

That took some time, thank you.

In a few years I'll have been at my house a decade. Eventually it will be time to move. I'm not looking forward to it because of the trees lol so I understand.

It has made me think of everything from leaving a list of what's in the yard behind to renting out my house (ug!) just so I can keep tabs on things.

• restorephoto
    13 years ago

Your post reminds me of how lucky we are to have been in our home for 34 years, with space to experiment and lots of time to observe nature's changes over that period of time. It wasn't something I anticipated in the beginning, but it's been quite an experience.

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

whaas, this is so very thoughtful of you to have put all this together in this format! a lot of work and so useful to so many of us- seeing their rate of growth and full profiles.

so intresting to read what you said about your ginkgo's branching habit; i do wish I had had this in mind when i bought ours so many yrs ago....!
    congrats on all your hard work, and th you again for sharing all this info,
    mindy
    www.cottonarboretum.com/

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

You made some nice selections there, whaas. Good job.

tj

P.S. Although conifers are conspicuous by their absence ;-)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Lovely trees. Thank you for posting all of these photos.
    Renee

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks folks...

If I get a freaking offer on my current home, I get to start fresh with the new home. I plan to splurge on some confiers this time and set them as the base.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Enjoyed the Tree Tour. Your magnolias are so nice and bushy and healthy looking and I'm surprised by that Hawthorne. I never think of one because I didn't think I liked the look of them. That one is very attractive.

Have you started thinking about what you would want to try next if you have a chance to start over again? Any trees that you would repeat?

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thats actually a bad pic of the hawthorne...but agreed the crusader's are quite nice.

Well here is my short list, lol. Some I might not plant just because they are tougher to find/more expensive. For many of them I found a source that sells air pruned 5g. pots for a steal.

Taxodium distichum
    Catalpa speciosa
    Gymnocladus dioicus
    Ostrya virginiana
    Acer saccharum
    Quercus ellipsoidalis
    Platanus occidentalis
    Nyssa sylvatica
    Liquidambar styraciflua
    Liriodendron tulipifera
    Cladrastis kentukea
    Aesculus octandra or pavia
    Acer Triflorum
    Acer pseudosieboldianum
    Chionanthus virginicus
    Cornus alternifolia
    Fagus grandifolia

I would repeat the Paperbark Maple, Wolfeyes Dogwood, Royal Star Magnolia, Musclewood, Ginkgo, Katsura, Silver Linden, Swamp White Oak and Homestead Buckeye...yeah I know thats half of them.

I wish I could afford an acre...I'd then undoubtably plant all of the ones I listed in this post!

• thomashton
    13 years ago

Great tour. Thanks a bunch.

Don't worry about your serviceberry. I have several that look worse as they seem to be a favorite of my baby goats year after year.
    The serviceberries grow in the spring at the same time the goats are born. The goats find a way out of the pasture and into the bushes.

It's a terrible cycle I need to break.

• ron_2008
    13 years ago

WOW! My Autum Blaze that was planted 5 years ago is a dwarf compared to yours. You have a remarkable collection of trees and thank you for the pictures.
    Ron

• backyardgrown
    13 years ago

Do you mind sharing your source for the .5 gallons for a steal? I have a lot of tree planting to do over the next year.

Great photo tour!

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Its a local source that sells to the local community only.

I'm sure there is one in your area...check with your village/city/town/municpality to start with.

I've found the nurseries to be too expensive to redo what I've done. Althought I will need them for more speicman/uncommon selections.

Now that I have more of a sandy soil I can go smaller and not wait years before they outgrow me.

• farmeranne
    13 years ago

I thoroughly enjoyed this tree tour, and feel sad that you have to leave them. It's one thing to leave a perennial garden behind and quite another to leave an interesting collection of trees.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living