Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Sunlight needs of the redbud tree

Debbie Downer
10 years ago

The spot I was going to put my redbud - its at the edge of being underneath canopy of very tall black walnut and some other trees. It gets LOTS of direct sun throughout spring (as trees are leafing out) and throughout even mid-late August probably a good 6-8 hours at least - the sun is overhead and as it swings around to the west it lights up the whole area under the tall trees. However now that the sun is lower its only getting sun in the late afternoon as it moves around to the other side of the tall trees - a couple hours maybe before it goes behind a building which shades my yard. Again this has to do with angle of sun - mid summer its much higher and doesn't go behind the building until later in the day.

Is my redbud going to be OK in this situation. My understanding is that its "understory" tree - not sure what that means exactly, how close underneath a large tree you could plant it. This one would be about 18 feet from the trunk of the tall walnut. THANKS!!!

Comments (11)

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

good news is that redbud is one of few trees that can tolerate black walnut.... black walnut produce a toxin in their roots that poisons nearby trees/plants. 18 feet is fine; it should be okay there. Understory is refering to the layers of a forest. Forests occurs in layers starting with the tallest which is call the canopy (oaks and pines are examples) followed by smaller trees in subcanopy (red maple, sassafras) then even smaller trees in the understory (redbuds, dogwoods, holly). The shrub layer (spicebush, azaleas) occurs below the understory and the herbaceous layer (bloodroot, trilliums) is below that.

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Sounds like a perfect spot! You are zn4 and fall is rapidly approaching. The amount of sunlight it receives close to dormancy isn't near as important as the sun it receives in the heart of the growing season. 6-8 hours in the middle of summer is plenty for it to grow, flower, and be generally healthy.

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

Some things to keep in mind: sunlight reaching the ground is not the same as the amount of sun on the top of the Redbud. Think of the taller trees as an umbrella. You can stand with your feet in the sun but your head in the shade.

Another concern is that as an understory tree, that can mean a lopsided form. If you are thinking of the Redbud as an evenly branched symmetrical tree, and any other form is 'ugly', then it may fail your test. The reason is that these trees (Redbuds) are very good at growing next to taller trees, but they become horizontal trees with long branches on the sunnier side and shorter, fewer branches on the shady side. Crecis have an odd branching pattern to begin with.

If you can live with a crooked tree, then by all means plant it where it is going to show off the cool spring color. I think the tree is nice even if it is one branch growing horizontally along the ground

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

sorry for the irrelevant content

ken

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 18:40

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

yeah just be careful when picking triullium species...some like acidic soil and others like calcareous soil. Ferns are also considered herbaceous btw.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Do you have MN or columbus strain?

Redbud isn't hardy to zone 4 otherwise.

• agray132
    10 years ago

I thought eastern redbud could thrive in full sun as a specimen or as an understory tree?

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

That is correct. They look nicer in full sun in my area.

Not sure how much sun they can take further south.

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

They do just fine with full sun down here. They do well in either situation honestly although most trees here, including immature shade trees, do best with some form of afternoon shade. I even have a partly yellow foliage Rising Sun in full all day shade and looks fine in its second year in the ground.

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

whaas - it's a Home Depot strain - Im not seeing any identification except Eastern Redbud. Not sure how I'd find out......? I guess with a name like Canadensis I assumed it would be hardy to colder zones.