Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bengz6westmd

Surprise recovery

bengz6westmd
9 years ago

Planted some Kentucky coffee tree seeds many yrs ago in the garden, and chose the smallest to transplant into a weedy, unmowed spot 4 yrs ago. They are notoriously hard to transplant, so not surprised when it sulked for yrs & finally died this summer.

Or so I thought. I was checking on a few other transplants in the weedy area yesterday & spied something very fresh in the 5' tall goldenrods about 4 ft from the "dead" KCT. It was a KCT sprout about 2 ft tall & healthy-looking! Must've popped up out of the roots in the last few weeks. It's grown much more in that time that it ever grew from the original.

Comments (6)

• bengz6westmd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another tidbit is 2 of my 3 Amer fringetrees that were killed to the ground this past winter both have numerous 6'+ sprouts out of the bases. Don't expect that w/otherwise slow-growing species.

• j0nd03
    9 years ago

Sounds like the conditions were excellent for growth this year in your area, beng!

I have had stellar growth on established plants down here as well. One of my sugar maple cultivars 'Sandersville' aka Harvest Moon is flushing new growth again :)

• bengz6westmd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

j0nd03, yeah, after some late July rain, my 25' burr oak started a third flush on the most vigorous branches, but they ended up only an inch or so growth.

Really fast trees like honeylocust, chinese elm, dawn redwood, japanese larch & weeping willow pretty much continue growing all season unless it's dry -- at least when they're relatively young.

Looks like near or record corn/soybean harvests in the US.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

I too have found Gymnocladus to be very sensitive to moving. I have one that has been acting like it will barely pull through since I moved it _last fall_. Maybe next year it will finally "simmuh down nawh" as they used to say in that SNL skit.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

it really doesnt surprise me.. if the old tree was not cut down.. and treated with a stump killer ...

the key ... is the weedy area.. was not mown.. giving the root system time to regenerate ...

many conifers.. will not do this.. as they dont have the dormant buds... or genetics to sprout from roots ...

but trees in general ... do this often ... given the predisposition ...

one might also surmise... your tree didnt die from a root issue ... well .. i mean.. the roots may have suffered and couldnt support the larger above... but they didnt die first.. is what i mean ...

you ever know what you want to say.. and just cant get into the typed word.. lol ...

ken

• bengz6westmd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just to update -- another sprout just appeared a couple feet away from the first. Prb'ly too late for it to harden off, but indicates the roots are quite alive.

For info, I've transplanted other "tap-root" species & had success, if done while small -- shellbark hickory, white oak, thirteen baldcypresses, and Table Mnt pine. Only the KCT suffered badly, but now seems to have survived.