Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this the way to control insect pests?

Posted by arktrees 6b NW Arkansas (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 11:29

Ran across this article, and the thought immediately occurred to me that this could be the way to gain the true elimination of introduced insect pest. Emerald Ash Borer, Asian Longhorn Beetle, Japanese Beetle etc.

Basically you introduce males, that carry a gene that cause females to die in the larval stage. Males survive to go on and compete to mate with a dwindling population of females. Thereby reducing the population as a whole. This has the added benefit of being species specific. And it requires ZERO pesticide use. Interesting concept to say the least.

Arktrees

Here is a link that might be useful: Possible New Pest Control Weapon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this the way to control insect pests?

Now that is an interesting read. In some ways I really welcome the technology but we have to be careful with it.

Sounds like this is going on already with the other species with no ill effects yet but for example, what about when sterile EAB males make it back to Asia and cause problems with the natural population there?

Still it is another tool and one we can not ignore.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 18:24

That is interesting. Wonder if you'd get hybrids of some sort with cross breeding.

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 8:40

Back in the 60's, they irradiated male tetsie flies, sterilizing them (but not killing them) & releasing hordes of 'em into tetsie-fly-infested areas in Africa.

o

It's a new twist on an older technology.
Mass-release of x-irradiated sterile male screwworm flies to mate with females, producing non-viable eggs, was used to eradicate the screwworm from most of the USA by the 1960s, and all the way down to the Panama Canal zone by the mid 1980s.

Here is a link that might be useful: Screwworm eradication

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here