Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aiko123_gw

Jack Ornamental Pear Tree

Aiko123
11 years ago

Has anyone had any good or bad experience with Jack ornamental pear tree? What is its fall color, dark purple or red?

I know ornamental pear trees are known to be brittle after so many years. But, since Jack pear is smaller than others (less than 20/10 at maturity), would it be safe to plant it next to about 10 feet from the house?

Comments (16)

• duluthinbloomz4
    11 years ago

I wouldn't - just couldn't live in fear that the next gentle breeze would take out half of it. The fact that the "Jack" is smaller doesn't make it much less immune from the weaknesses of these pears.

Ten feet away - when it's in bloom - keep your doors and windows closed. The blooms have a very disagreeable smell. People tend to be captivated by them when viewing them in bloom at a distance. No doubt, they are pretty.

There are very few, if any, trees I'd plant only ten feet from the house. Even if it lived intact for hundreds of years, deciduous trees dump leaves, seeds, and debris into the gutter system.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

'Jaczam' from Lake County nursery. I read about it on their web site some years ago. Presumably the more compact habit would make it less prone to breakage but tree has by now been dispersed, with multiple internet photos showing specimens poking up so as to indicate they may not remain as small and dense as billed. This is common, the industry often underrepresents the true growth potential of shade and flowering tree cultivars.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

And still has the same invasive characteristics and potential as any other Callery pear. One site made specific mention of the small fruit!

• Aiko123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. Definitely, this one is no longer my choice.

• gardenapprentice
    11 years ago

The only thing I like about it is that as fall comes at the top of the canopy the leaves are purple then the colors go all the way down to the last leaf. Get a dogwood, red bud, Kwanzan, Crape Myrtle, Yoshino, Kousua Dogwood, SourWood, Powder Puff, or Butterfly Bush, or just skip the summer and spring flowers and get an Autumn Blaze Oak, Red Oak, Maple, sycamore, Pussy Willow.

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

I really want this tree but cant find it anywhere!

• arktrees
    9 years ago

Three ID"s on GW?

Reminds me of something John said in a dogwood discussion several years ago.

......... SMH!

Arktrees

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

I need 3 names because i have multiple personalities!!!
    LOL

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

By asking similar questions on separate threads you won't increase your hit rate. In fact it can get annoying. To keep a discussion going and to obtain the best feedback it's best to stick to one thread. I suggested you looked up Jaczam too, on a different thread. It turns out I duplicated effort someone else had already put in and wasted my time trying to help out.

• tlbean2004
    7 years ago

Embothrium I have not seen any photos of the Jaczam being taller than advertised. Would you care to share your source for that information?

There are VERY FEW photos of this cultivar online.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

hey beany.. this isnt your post of the near same title.. where embo said that ...

ken

• Embothrium
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Maybe the older looking one shown here is the original variant. "Semi-dwarf" and "1/2 the size of the species" wouldn't of course be only 15 ft. For instance the Seattle (USDA 8) arboretum had a Callery pear 48 ft. tall in 2004-5, with a Chanticleer 54 ft. tall being present in nearby Freeway Park during the same time period. Otherwise Callery pear has been described as a medium height tree, if that designation is taken to correspond to 35-60 ft. and Jack ('Jaczam') is half sized then it grows 17 1/2-30 ft. tall. If we assume that half way between these two extremes is typical then we get 23 3/4 ft.

http://www.lakecountynursery.com/lcns%20sell%20sheets/Jack.pdf

• tlbean2004
    7 years ago

They are usually advertised as getting 10-20ft tall by 10-12ft wide.

• tlbean2004
    7 years ago

Also the one in that picture is still nearly the same size after being planted there 20 plus years ago. That's according to Maria Zampini.

• Embothrium
    7 years ago

Commercial sources routinely under state likely long term development of trees. Otherwise the sheet I linked to is from Lake County. The appearance of the young example they show in flower and growth habit drawing they put on the sheet imply more vigorous and vertical growth. If the older one they also show is the original seedling variant - which seems likely - it may not have the horsepower of grafted clones of it being produced using root stocks of full vigor (if such stocks are being used). Production of such combinations goes both ways, it's not just that scions of normally vigorous cultivars can be dwarfed by using weaker growing stocks (as is done with orchard fruit trees). Dwarf variants can also become invigorated by grafting onto seedling or otherwise non-dwarf stocks. This has become evident in the area of commercial production of garden conifers for instance, where grafted stocks of quite small forms may grow so quickly and readily out of character when placed on seedling stocks that nursery signs may give 10 or more year heights that are the same - or even smaller - than the size of the much younger material on display.