Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondelle_gw

Look what my tenant did to my beautiful trees!!! - photos!

blondelle
10 years ago

My tenant, soon to be ex tenant, decided to build a back deck without even telling me, let alone asking my permission. I had beautiful trees that were over 50 years old there, and he saw fit to cut them, and build a deck around two that are now dying. I don't live there so I just saw the pictures and was horrified what he did.

I was lucky enough to have a before picture of the trees before he started work. They even survived hurricane Sandy, but not my tenant. Would enclosing the trees like that have led to their dying?

This is going into court. Would anyone have any idea how much it would cost to restore that area the way it was, and to transplant mature trees? I will get estimates, but I'm just curious now.

Also, I don't think he should have a grill on top of a wood declk or so close to a garage.

Any feedback would be most appreciated. I'm beyond upset!

Comments (20)

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

It probably depends how your lease is written, but you probably have a case.

What kind of trees?

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

It costs thousands to have big trees brought in and planted, same as with any other project of much size or scope.

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

What kind of trees were they? How many trees did he cut.

What kind of damage were they doing to the roof. (It looks like the upper limbs are laying on the roof.)

• ghostlyvision
    10 years ago

The fire codes in your area will dictate how close a grill can be kept next to a structure, may want to check that out.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

I think little to nothing can be determined with the limited information provided so far.

• i_like_pi
    10 years ago

It looks like the tree used to be covered with vines, which were cut. The vines then died, leading to the dead-ish look.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

That was my impression too, which would mean the tenants made an improvement, but I can't tell for sure.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Wondered the same thing. Some vines can literally devour a tree alive, blocking off photosynthesis and making branches go bare, that or the dead vine might be what we are seeing. First off, permission should have been asked to do a deck, but I certainly would count to ten before I'd assume that the trees had been damaged until it was visually inspected by someone who has experience with trees. If there is damage, it may have been caused by the vines and not the tenant and that puts the ball back in your court for who is responsible.

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Looks to me like once the vines were removed, it revealed that the tree underneath was already almost dead (probably due to the vines).

• sam_md
    10 years ago

just a minute, we've got a good seven months 'till April Fools Day, I just checked!!!

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    10 years ago

With that many vines on the tree, not sure that the trees were mainly dead already, most vines are not trees best friends. As far as the deck being wooden and grill on it, if it's a gas grill should be legal as long as its not multi-family dwelling. In most cases, if done properly a deck built around a tree won't harm it.

I know it's your property and I sympathize with you as you should have given permission, but the deck looks nice.

In addition make sure it wasn't the vines covering the trees that killed the trees, because from the before and after photos, I do not see too much tree, just vines, wouldn't want you to get counter sued.

• Brandon Smith
    10 years ago

If day the tenant increased the value of your property by building the deck and trying to bring the trees from the choke hold those vines had on it.

Do you not speak with your tennants? Seems they should have spoken with you before they did anything but it also looks as if you are taking spy shots of them from the roof of the building next to your rental dwelling.

Go talk to them, that'd be my suggestion.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

Sorry, OP. That tree looks like it was dead long ago from the smothering vines. Your tenants seem to have done a good job improving the space. Just my opinion.

• Brandon Smith
    10 years ago

My previous post should have began "I feel" not "If day", spellcheck ftl.

Just realized it.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

my barbie has wheels.... i move it out to use.. and i store against the house .. out of the way ...

i wonder how you got these pix... bucket truck????

NE? .... nebraska ??? ... then this is a deciduous tree.. we really dont have an ID yet.. if so.. most do NOT grow leaves in full shade.. under heavy vines.. but that in no way indicates.. they wont leaf out properly next spring ....

and pruning.. rarely if ever harms a tree ...

yes.. they should have asked permission .... but beyond that.. i am thinking.. they improved your property.. not harmed your trees.. but based on these pix.. its really hard to tell ....

ken

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

let me guess.....he posted pics on facebook and thats how you found out

• calliope
    10 years ago

I'm also guess the vine in question is sweet autumn clematis. LOL

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

"i wonder how you got these pix... bucket truck????"

A bucket truck with window seals and bricks??? Come on Ken, you are usually the one that sees stuff some of the rest of us don't.

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

The vine looked like Kudzu to me.

• fmart322
    10 years ago

I'm looking at this from my cell phone so I can't be sure but it looks like a mature weeping cherry tree to me.

The deck looks nice but they should have gotten permission before building anything.

I would check for permits through the city/town to make sure it was inspected so it was done correctly.

In my town a deck would increase my taxes so there's another reason I would be mad.