Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

Very up-close images of the flowers of dove tree

jujujojo_gw
10 years ago

The flowers are indeed strange upon close examination.

Initially the bracts are greenish and small.
{{gwi:431949}}

One side extends and grows significantly longer.
{{gwi:431951}}

The edge has spikes.
{{gwi:431952}}

{{gwi:431954}}

Comments (11)

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

When you see the flowers in close-up, it becomes clear why botanists have placed it in the family Cornaceae (even if there is a bit a quibbling over details).

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by smivies z5b ontario (My Page) on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 12:10

Do you grow these? The habits and behaviors seem different. Is there any genetic study?

• Huggorm
    10 years ago

One of my favorit trees

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by Huggorm 6 (My Page) on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 3:36

It may take 30 years to germinate from seed. It may take another 30 years to bloom. Is that correct?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by smivies z5b ontario (My Page) on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 12:10

Do you grow these? The habits and behaviors seem different. Is there any genetic study?

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

My Davidia bloomed after about 20 years and was purchased as a two foot plant. It's about 25 feet tall now. Picture taken 5-11-2013
    Mike

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Clonal stock of 'Sonoma' cultivar based on a tree at Sonoma Horticultural Nursery, Sebastopol, CA flowers and fruits in 5 gallon (or even smaller) pots.

This post was edited by bboy on Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 14:12

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I can confirm that 'Sonoma' blooms when very small. However, I did not find it attractive as to me the scale was out of whack. Those huge bracts on that little tree - not great. I was not too distressed when the rabbits decided to have the tree (or at least a good portion of the bark) for dinner.

The nicest specimen that I have ever observed was at Gravetye Manor in Sussex, England. Huge, old, graceful tree, large and stately enough to bear those bracts, which, indeed, looked like handkerchiefs. It was magnificent.

Sara

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

I've never seen the jumbo bracts on examples here. I was surprised to see what I took to be the original tree at Sonoma Hort. was apparently a dwarf. A propagule from a retail outlet up here has come along fairly nicely, apparently seedling rootstocks used may be invigorating the scions, with more normally sized trees being the possible common outcome.

And the one I planted has yet to produce abnormal bracts. So it is looking like the main benefit of planting the cultivar is going to be the early flowering.

I planted a second one here (the other is in Island County, WA) so I will be regularly observing two of them on two different sites in future years.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Mine just looked ungainly. The bracts were normal sized - like the big specimens that I had seen of the straight species. But the tree was barely 5' tall!

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Are there any other colored cultivars in existence?

Could it be that the breeding cycle is too long thus people are not developing other cultivars?

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County