Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very up-close images of the flowers of dove tree

Posted by jujujojo 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 12:02

The flowers are indeed strange upon close examination.

Initially the bracts are greenish and small.
 photo 6_zps66d3ea6d.jpg

One side extends and grows significantly longer.
 photo 7_zps815d45c0.jpg

The edge has spikes.
 photo 5_zps6ad4727e.jpg

photo 4_zpse5375a99.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very up-close images of the flowers of dove tree

When you see the flowers in close-up, it becomes clear why botanists have placed it in the family Cornaceae (even if there is a bit a quibbling over details).

o

Posted by smivies z5b ontario (My Page) on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 12:10

Do you grow these? The habits and behaviors seem different. Is there any genetic study?

o

One of my favorit trees

o

Posted by Huggorm 6 (My Page) on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 3:36

It may take 30 years to germinate from seed. It may take another 30 years to bloom. Is that correct?

o

Posted by smivies z5b ontario (My Page) on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 12:10

Do you grow these? The habits and behaviors seem different. Is there any genetic study?

o

My Davidia bloomed after about 20 years and was purchased as a two foot plant. It's about 25 feet tall now. Picture taken 5-11-2013
Mike

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 14:10

Clonal stock of 'Sonoma' cultivar based on a tree at Sonoma Horticultural Nursery, Sebastopol, CA flowers and fruits in 5 gallon (or even smaller) pots.

This post was edited by bboy on Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 14:12

o

I can confirm that 'Sonoma' blooms when very small. However, I did not find it attractive as to me the scale was out of whack. Those huge bracts on that little tree - not great. I was not too distressed when the rabbits decided to have the tree (or at least a good portion of the bark) for dinner.

The nicest specimen that I have ever observed was at Gravetye Manor in Sussex, England. Huge, old, graceful tree, large and stately enough to bear those bracts, which, indeed, looked like handkerchiefs. It was magnificent.

Sara

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 17:57

I've never seen the jumbo bracts on examples here. I was surprised to see what I took to be the original tree at Sonoma Hort. was apparently a dwarf. A propagule from a retail outlet up here has come along fairly nicely, apparently seedling rootstocks used may be invigorating the scions, with more normally sized trees being the possible common outcome.

And the one I planted has yet to produce abnormal bracts. So it is looking like the main benefit of planting the cultivar is going to be the early flowering.

I planted a second one here (the other is in Island County, WA) so I will be regularly observing two of them on two different sites in future years.

o

Mine just looked ungainly. The bracts were normal sized - like the big specimens that I had seen of the straight species. But the tree was barely 5' tall!

o

Are there any other colored cultivars in existence?

Could it be that the breeding cycle is too long thus people are not developing other cultivars?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here