Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to kill a large tree secretly?

Posted by jumpingjimmy none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 12:05

Hi, i realise this might not be a super popular topic on here, but i need a tree to be removed secretly if possible as it drops large amounts of leaves into my dad's gutters and he has had a stroke recently which has resulted in him losing his some of his balance which means it not safe for him to clean the gutters every day. Since i work in the city it�s meant i can only clean them every second week for him.

I spoke to the next door neighbour told him about the situation and offered $5k + expenses to remove the tree he decided he wanted $15k which i think is just him trying to rip me off, so i'm wondering if there is a way to kill it secretly?

I have access to a root about 4inch/10 cm in diameter on my dad's property, but not the trunk of the tree or the leaves. I've read on the internet that drilling holes in the root and filling them with either round up, salt or copper sulphate may work, but i'm wondering if it really would to be effective against a large tree like this, it is ~ 10m tall.

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to kill a large tree secretly?

why not just install gutter guards ...

i have to believe it would be about 4750 dollars less than the 5000 offered ...

drilling into wood and adding anything.. will NOT kill a tree ...

check out the link

also.. use this link.. and get to the teal posts on page 2:

http://search.gardenweb.com/search/nph-ind.cgi?term=killing+a+tree&x=0&y=0&p=2

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

You might want to take your short-sighted, selfish ideas to a different forum. Or your trolling plan for a junior college psych class project. Either way, you're welcome.

Dan

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 12:41

If you kill the tree now the neighbor won't have much trouble guessing what happened. Then what?

Think about it: you are talking about destroying something that belongs to somebody else, without their blessing.

o

I feel your frustration. First if what you were talking could be done, it would be easy to prove where it came from and he easily could sue you then and considering he is holding out for such an amount of money tells me he would. Don't go there.

You could sue him and possibly win. You are permitted the right to sue if another is preventing you from the enjoyment of your yard and home but don't think it would fly unless you've attempted the below suggestions first.

Easiest answer, put up gutter guard. It does work, as I had to do same, along with burying some of my gutters because of my horrible neighbor's abusive "I don't care attitude". If any part of that tree hangs over in inn your dad's yard, have it trimmed to your dad's property line. Completely legal and you don't have to get approval. I'd rather pay for that then surrender to such outrageous demands. Let's face it there's always atleast one on every block.
Cher

o

• Posted by j0nd03 7 west/central AR (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 13:05

Better usernames for jumpingjimmy:

HarveyUpdykeJr

ToomerCornerCoroner

TreeSpiked

Feel free to add to the list :)

o

Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 13:07

Yeah, there's always some jerk that thinks trees have value.

o

I agree with ken...investigate gutter guards. There are several different manufacturers and each seem to have their own features.

You can, of course, have any limbs that may be hanging over your father's property removed. That may or may not help the leaf situation.

So sorry about your Dad. But your idea to poison the tree is flawed and might even bring more trouble to him.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 15:12

You could easily get sued and plus you just left evidence on the forum on "how to kill a large tree secretly".

I have to say this is the first time I ever heard someone wanting to kill an established tree because its doing what it does...drop leaves.

Gutter guards as mentioned are a novel idea and very expensive...I'll book a flight and install for you...$3,000 is all I ask.

Your pretty clever troll if you just made this up to get a rise out of people.

o

We had a yard full of large maple trees and had a leaf problem in the fall, and a seed problem in the spring.

We installed gutter guards (brand unknown) and that solved the problem.

However it you go this route make sure that the installers of the gutter guard seal the ends and all places in between where birds, mammals, etc can get in and build nest. Sparrows do not need a large hole for access.

o

Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 19:17

Unappealing notions abound. There have been multiple previous threads covering the same ground. A recent one went on and on, around and around over a possible landmark or heritage oak that was being resented for dropping leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here