Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

stumped???

see what i did there... lol ...

never saw this thing in my MI experience ...

one year old.. over 6 feet tall ...

giving you tree peeps first crack ... dont make me go to the name that plant forum ...

i was working with roundup in my very expensive applicator ... not afraid of the plant ...

ken

{{gwi:432250}}

that is morning dew on the leaves
{{gwi:432251}}

{{gwi:432252}}

{{gwi:432253}}

Comments (19)

• blakrab Centex
    9 years ago

It looks a bit like some type of Mulberry...or some unknown exotic invasive?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mulberries

• hortster
    9 years ago

American linden on steroids? LOL

• ctnchpr
    9 years ago

Just a wild guess: Paulownia

• hortster
    9 years ago

Leaf isn't right for paulownia or catalpa.

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

Some kind of poplar, isn't it?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hmmmmm...

i have way to many mulberry to not recognize them ... no way .. IMHO ...

poplar came to my mind ... but the ones around here are hand sized leaves.. and only grow about 12 inches as a seedlings ...

never seen a Paulownia in my life... i dont know ... and i dont know if it would be winter hardy .... in my cold z5 ....

catalpa???? ... i think i have seen their seed pods in the greater area ....

i dont have an answer .... just making observations on your suggestions ... googled up leave images of all the suggestions ...

ken

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

It is probably a sucker from that stump right beside it. That's why it grows so fast and got so large leaves, it has got a large root system to use.

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

Looks like M.rubra to me, ken.
    Maybe you're just accustomed to looking at ratty M.alba...

• arbordave (SE MI)
    9 years ago

another vote for poplar - like Huggorm noted, probably a sucker from the stump; might be a hybrid poplar of some kind.

• conifer50
    9 years ago

Hybrid poplar would be my choice also. Seedlings often reach 6 feet the first year and the wind can blow the super light seed in from miles away

• RugbyHukr
    9 years ago

I had discounted the Populus genus due to the large leaf, but Populus heterophylla 'Swamp Cottonwood' can get that large.

• jon3333
    9 years ago

It looks just like my Big Tooth Aspen (Populus Grandidentata) seedling that I planted many years ago. The seedling grew 6' the first year and then deer took it out.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

that was just a piece of wood chips ... not an old stump ...

ken

• corkball
    9 years ago

Populus lasiocarpa? Very large leafed asian poplar with red veins. Maybe it came in a crate with your kudzu ordert ;)

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Alright buddy, show us the leaf underside! From what little I can see, just kind of a duller green/brown, not the white tomentose of white polar et al......

Not, as far as I can tell, an American linden, aka basswood. In those, the bottom of the leaf where it joins stem is uneven. This looks pretty much symmetrical, although the bug bites etc. do make it a little hard to tell. Not northern catalpa-that would have leaf margins that are "entire", meaning not serrated.

All in all, I'm leaning towards something from genus Populus, especially given that genus' tendency to self-hybridize.

+oM

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

Those small buds for next years leaves looks very poplar to me

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's just one of Ken's "Hybrid Cottonwoods". Probby gonna have to see a bud.

+oM

• salicaceae
    9 years ago

100% sure, I'll bet the house on it, it's a big tooth aspen sucker, Populus grandidentata.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

"Stumped" for sure. You might have to resist cutting it just so we can figure it out later...

Well, I can try. Looks like populus, but that weedy-looking, wrinkled leaf stretches that guess a bit. Stem so vigorous that some leaves went koo-koo?

This post was edited by beng on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 13:14

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!