Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
needinfo001

How much did your Japanese Maple costs?

needinfo001
9 years ago

Ive been seeing them around my neighbourhood and want one for the back yard. At my work place they have the weeping form which is spectacular.

What are the price ranges that people have paid?

Comments (12)

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

You can find decent JM for $10, but that's for a small one

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Yes, and they grow (typically) much slower than any other maple that I've ever grown.

Esp if you get a fancy leaf variety, protect it from the wind, they dessicate easily in hot winds.

I'm sure you can find JM from $10 (mail order for first year grafted varieties) to over $500 for a small cutleaf specimen.

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

Our rather stunning specimen cost several hundred thousand dollars, but it came with a free 4 bedroom house.

Spring:
    {{gwi:432586}}

Early Fall:
    {{gwi:432587}}

Late Fall:
    {{gwi:432589}}

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you can mail order named cultivars for a rather good price ... for example check out conifer kingdom

and by that.. i mean cultivars you may never see in some local nursery ...

price is dependant on size... so unless you state the size you are shopping for.. the prices mentioned arent all that pertinent ...

anyway... the rarer and more exoptic the variety.. the more expensive it will be ...

and i highly recommend you get a sublime one... perhaps smaller due to price... as compared to going big for instant gratification at the same price .. everyone has a red one.. you can do better than that ....

going mail order.. you could probably get 3 to 5 smaller ones.. for the price of a 150$ larger plant ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• StGuaposFire
    9 years ago

Bob, the fall color on yours is amazing, do you know what variety or cultivar it is? Thanks,

S

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

I don't know, I've always thought that based solely on its size and therefore its probable age that it might predate many of the cultivars that now exist. In the summer the leaves turn green so that, while the tree is still attractively shaped, it is much less striking color-wise. The only picture of its summer color that I could find is this picture where we were cleaning a large oak that got blown down in a hurricane, narrowly missing the Japanese Maple.

It also happens to be a prolific seeder, so that there are dozens of saplings and hundreds of seedlings near it.

• calliope
    9 years ago

As said, the price is all over the board and if one is not careful they may pay as much for common one as a more uncommon one. They're so popular now that most box stores carry them and actually if you know the provenance of where they were grown on, and get them when the trucks first come in, they can be good stock. The most expensive one I've bought was grown by a small, independent grower and we paid fifty for it. It was not a good choice for our climate, despite how beautiful it was and the polar vortex we had last winter proved too much for it. Another one, purchased from Glasshouse Works when I visited once has been a winner for sure. It gets occasional seeds.

• User
    9 years ago

Six years ago I bought a weeping Crimson Queen, for 25.00 at Home Depot, it grew pretty good, and an Emperor I, at Home Depo. I paid 25 for the Emporer too.
    Then I ordered a Coral Bark from Jackson and Perkins, years ago, paid 50.00 for it. It's not growing at all, I don't think it likes where I planted it. Oh well.
    The Coral Bark is nice, orangey gold color.
    I love Japanese maples, I was thinking of buying another one next year for the woods, mabey....
    I want a green one this time.

• needinfo001
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I want a coral bark one too! But i think i heard somewhere that the bark does not stay that way as the tree ages.
    Not sure if that is true or not.

• j0nd03
    9 years ago

The coral bark maple 'Sango Kaku' grows great in most if not all of Arkansas and only the last season or two of growth is red. However, the red is very intense in winter and worth it. It can also be pruned back in the spring which stimulates long extensions of new growth to enjoy in winter. I just enjoy mine as is and only prune to shape the tree and keep the branch angles where I want them.

• calliope
    9 years ago

Sango Kaku was the one I lost.