Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treekiller_1

Leyland Cypress Completely Brown

TreeKiller_1
10 years ago

I have 6 leyland cypress trees that act as a border to the road by my house. Out of the 6, one has turned completely brown and it seems that the issue came on quite quickly, or I havent really been paying much attention. The tree is about 25 ft tall and I would really not like to lose it. I have read about trimming but it seems like I would have to trim everything off. Is this really an option? Would the branches grow back or would the tree just look weird? I had a similar issue about a year after I first planted for one of the others but that tree pulled through and is now thriving. I cant remember if I pruned it or not anymore.

So, trying to be a better plant owner I would like to try and nurse back to health. I am thinking I will prune what I can and just try to make sure this particular tree receives extra water beyond what nature gives. Was thinking about putting some 5 gallon buckets out for a slow drip. Does this seem realistic or should I probably kiss it goodbye? I was hoping to avoid having to start fresh with a smaller tree in its place.

Comments (4)