Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akimian

Increase growth for a fuller dogwood tree

Akimian
9 years ago

I planted a Cherokee Brave dogwood two years ago and pruned a significant number of dead branches off. I treated it for dogwood borer last year and it lost some bark on the trunk. My question is there any way to stimulate the tree for vigorous growth so that it can become fuller (limbs, branches)?

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

no.. there isnt ...

it will be whatever it wants to be.. if you just give it time .. and two years is nothing.. in tree years ... your expectations of growth.. are a bit instant ...

i do not ever.. feed trees... to juice growth ... but a little of this or that wont hurt.. a very little ...

if you want some in depth comments.. share a pic with us ....

it might help to know where you are.. what your base soil is.. and how you water it ... as well as the pic ...

your tree.. in its two years.. is extremely stressed ... it will start growing with vigor.. after it gets itself fully ESTABLISHED .... and that may take another year or two ..

one thing for sure... it isnt hungry ...

good luck

ken

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I planted a red and a pink flowering dogwood 25 to 30 years ago, the pink is dead and the red (deeper pink really) is on it's way out...with limb dieback.

The wild dogwood that I pulled up by the roots in the same time frame and plopped out by the end of the driveway...is glorious and better every year.

• Akimian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I live in Virginia and this dogwood is on the south side of the house in full sun. The soil was tested at ph 6.7. I never water this tree...it's located in the lawn which receives regular watering.

• Akimian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another photo of wounds from the dogwood borer which was treated last year.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I notice your lawn has no weeds. Do you put weed killer on it once in awhile?
    Mike

• Akimian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I have a lawn service and weed chemicals are applied in the spring and as needed.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I'll make Mike's point for him. You realize that trees aren't grass, and weed and feed is intended to kill anything except turfgrasses?
    This is very common...to see tree damages.

I never think of it..because I don't use the stuff. The grass is the least of my worries...if there are dandelions or violets in it, I'm happier :)

• Akimian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for your comments and feedback. My takeaway is to be patient as the tree still needs to be fully established and to avoid weed killers anywhere near the tree. Fortunately, all other trees (oak, maple, birch, crape myrtle, holly) in my lawn are thriving with no issues.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

How do when know this is borer damage, and not instead something like sun scald?