Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mycupofjoe

Can Juniper Pom Poms be kept in pots?

mycupofjoe
9 years ago

Hi, I have an spot on either side of my steps that I'd like to put two little pom poms we bought. After further thinking, I would like to keep them potted (in a larger pot than the one they came in). Can that be done or am I dooming them? Right now they are tiny - about 3 feet high incl. pot. If they can be, what size would you recommend using? I was thinking of getting two big resin whiskey barrel type containers.

Thank you!

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

the keys are:

what media you put in the pots ... which also means how they are watered ...

and how you protect them for winter ...

whiskey barrels are a bit passe' ... but if they rock your boat.. all the power to ya.. size is about right ...

they are conifers... as well as trees... pots arent easy for trees ... long term .... and the first few tries can be frustrating ... i can not assure you.. that you will win.. on your first try ... how much do you have invested [rhetorical] ... will it kill you to lose said investment????

ken

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Actually, small conifers are quite easily grown in containers. Long term success depends a lot on the specific cultivar and how fast it grows and as Ken mentions, on the potting medium. It is very important to get a fast draining yet very durable potting soil.......something with a lot of bark content. And I wouldn't worry excessively about winter - in zone 7, winter cold is typically not extreme and junipers are pretty tough, all else considered. FWIW I grow a pretty large collection of both dwarf conifers and Japanese maples in containers on a permanent basis with no winter issues at all.

It is important to keep in mind that container grown plants do require more attention than those in the ground. Aside from a high quality potting soil, you will need to provided nutrients on a routine basis and of course watering is always an issue. And nothing is ever really permanent.......even with large containers you will need to repot and root prune from time to time.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Appropriate pot size is determined by your soil choice, not the size of the pot it's in now. I have dozens of species of junipers I've kept in containers for 25+ years. They're very cooperative as long as you provide a soil that you can water properly w/o having to worry about root rot or inhibited root function due to extended periods of soggy soil. As Pam mentioned (Al waves HI), they do require some regular (every 2-5 years) root maintenance to keep them from declining; and a well-aerated, fast draining soil is pretty close to an imperative.

You can learn much more about maintaining woody plants in containers over the long term by following the embedded link. You can ask any other questions you might have there or here.

Al

• mycupofjoe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

Lots of food for thought and great information on what I need to attempt this. I'm happy to hear that it's at least possible.

Thank you for that link as well, the repotting vs potting up info was very interesting and being new at trying it with a tree, something I wouldn't have thought of.

-erin

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!