Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaesgarden

small tree for potting

kaesgarden
9 years ago

Can anyone please recommend a small tree which is non fruit or nut, perhaps a flower with a mild / strong fragrance that would be suitable for an extra large pot for back yard decoration. I would like to have a matching pair or something that would compliment one another.

All suggestions welcomed - Also i would like it to over winter out doors. I have no problems moving it to a more sheltered section but nonetheless still outside.

Thank you,
Scarlet

Comments (9)

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

Not quite a tree, but you can't beet lilacs for fragrance.

No fragrance, but what about Rose of Sharon? For that matter, in Zone 8 you probably have other options for hybiscus, and I bet there's one with a fragrance.

Rhododendron would stay green all winter, although they don't have scent and aren't quite a tree.

A warning: There are things that can survive the winter in the ground that can't survive in a pot in the same climate. A tree in the ground has a lot more insulation around the roots then a tree in a pot. Make sure whatever you chose is Zone 7 hardy at least.

This post was edited by edlincoln on Fri, Sep 12, 14 at 17:06

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

Osmanthus Fragrans (Fragrant Sweet Olive). Evergreen, suitable for zone, CANNOT beat fragrance!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Can you grow variegated Pittosporum tobira in pots out there? They are attractive year-round and have fragrant flowers.

Pittosporum tenuifolium 'Marjorie Channon' is another variegated evergreen. Not sure about hardiness though.

I don't think these are fragrant, but Arbutus unedo
    âÂÂStrawberry Treeâ might be an interesting choice.

More a shrub, nothing beats the fragrance of Daphne odora 'Aureomarginata'. Needs good drainage, so a container should work.

Not sure how 'low' you are willing to go, but there are several taller Sarcococca, that might be worth searching out....ruscifolia, hookeriana var. digyna, confusa. They like some shade though.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Fri, Sep 12, 14 at 9:16

• kaesgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much edlincoln, Aurorawa and dave,

Some really wonderful choices, i honestly didn't think their might be so many. The olive tree is a choice i would not of thought of, the leaves are very pretty along with the orange flowered variety. The hybiscus is also a real contender, love the way the blooms look, big in your face flowers that demand attention. I don't have any type of hybiscus plants on my property yet. The strawberry tree is just amazing. From looking on google i noticed it may have red bark, is that correct? Something about red barked tree's but i just love,love,love them!

Thank you again for all the excellent choices. It gives me tons to work with.

Scarlet

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

Oooh, here's a couple that are fragrant:

Hibiscus grandiflorus (native but maybe too big?)
    Hibiscus waimeae

Brugmansia/Angel's Trumpet
    (needs to be pretty big to flower and some varieties might have trouble overwinter in an outdoor pot in your zone...I've seen conflicting accounts of zone tolerances)

This post was edited by edlincoln on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 0:18

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Gardenias?

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Please give the measurements of your 'extra large pot'. I have learned, over the years, that size perception varies widely. My extra large pots are 3' in diameter and 2' high; another gardener I was talking with thinks 17" diameter by 12" is a large pot.

Arbutus (strawberry tree) is a nice one, but watch your watering. They can be quite susceptible to Phytophthora--lost 2-3 large ones that way.

• kaesgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have two that are, large: 19.5" diameter, 24" high and and two old wine barrel type container's that are 27"H x 26"W .

Gardenias look lovely and simple but oh my gosh the trumpet flower is pretty stunning. i'll need to do some research on these fellas.

• kaesgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know that's 4 but i do only want 2 trees the other two i'll use for flowers and sorts...

Sponsored
Wilson Enterprise
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Remodeling, Reconstruction, and Home Improvement Experts of Fairfax