Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
panoply76

Help with Sassafras, continued.

Panoply76
9 years ago

This is a continuation of an earlier request for help with growing Sassafras trees from seed. I received valuable input but am still fuzzy about a few things.

Link to previous thread here:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/trees/msg0822395317937.html?3

Thanks to both MissinghteObvious and Ken.
The links you sent me were very helpful, Ken.

I have some questions. It appears the seeds need to have a dormant period of 120 days where they are kept quite cold but not freezing (40 degrees or so) in order to grow. Were I to simulate this by putting them in the refrigerator (with a damp paper towel and a bit of peat moss, as instructed) now it would mean that I would be planting them in December. That sounds like a non-starter to me. Can the seeds as I have them now be stored as is for several months so that I might begin their 120 days at a better time? I could, as Ken suggests, plant them in pots now but even in south Louisiana we get down to freezing a few days each winter. What effect would this have on the seeds? Could/should I simply take them inside on the days where it dips signifigantly below 40 degrees?

About scarification. I can't seem to find a consensus among the links Ken provided as to whether this should be done. Most don't mention it at all.

The instruction for soaking them for 24 hours that came with the seeds is nowhere mentioned.

And no, I have never grown a tree from seeds before.

Thank you and I look forward to your input.
Pano

Comments (3)

• alexander3_gw
    9 years ago

They can be stored at room temp until winter begins. This is comparable to what happens to the seeds outside. I can confirm that some of them (about half in my limited experience) will germinate without scarification....wether not not scarification will increase that percentage, I don't know.

Alex

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

they grow as free sown weed trees in my MI garden ...

i dont understand of what concern.. cold would be to you down in swampland ...

they go in the fridge.. in the veg crisper drawer .. [i could leave them in my garage all winter ...]

how many seeds do you have???? if many.. then you try a few.. in every method given ...

a seed capsule can be impervious ... scarification.. AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED ... can be as simple as running the dry seed... on a piece of sandpaper.. to scar the seed coat.. so water can get in ... and start the germination process..

a zone 5 winter.. with frozen ground.. and 3 feet of snow.. does the same thing.. by causing the seed coat to soften over winter.. so it can pop itself out of there, come warm soil in spring ...

keep on learnin' dude... see link for general seed growing info ... you never know where you will find the kernal of knowledge that sets you free ...

BTW ... i have no specific tree seed growing experience.. i stick seeds in stuff.. and they usually grow ... in mother earth.. in a pot to winter over ... etc .. i simply experiment ... there was no WWWeb to drive me insane back when i started planting seeds ... lol

just do it ... and quit worrying about it ... the face of the earth would be rather barren ... if it wasnt.. basically easy ...

continued luck

ken

ps: if you do it in pots.. the most important variable.. will be the potting media ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Panoply76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to you all.

So, I'm getting contrary advice. Both from you all (not that I don't appreciate it, I do) and from countless (an exaggeration, I could count them - there's the pedant in me) other sources. Both online and from friends and even a book.

I could keep them at room temp until winter, when I presumably will plant them. W/o scarification, about half will grow. This is Alexander3's advice.

Ken, cold can be a concern down here in 'swampland.' We do get some days (well, nights really) that are below freezing. January is our coldest with averages in the high 30's and low 40's. In my living memory, however, it has gotten down into the low 20's (a time to stay indoors!). We ALWAYS get a few freezes each winter - nighttime temps below 32 degrees, as I mentioned. It has even snowed a handful of times in my 38 years here.

Or I could try one of the methods suggested from other sources.

I've 10 seeds. Not a whole lot to experiment with, but I'll try the various methods folks here have suggested along with a few of the (countless) ways I've found online. I had to BUY these seeds ($5 and change after shipping for just 10) which is why I will not just throw them around and see what happens.

One of these methods is bound to work. I only need one, after all.

Thanks!
    Pano

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus