Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do trees just fall for no reason????

Posted by Gigi_4321 none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 14:11

At 4am we heard a loud swishing sound, then another. Couldn't find anything amiss in the house so walked outside to this:
Photobucket
We are in Ca. so no storms, flooding etc. no earthquake. The tree is not diseased or leaning. It split into four sections and fell in an exact north south east west pattern. Did God do this? (as in act of god, per my insurance co)
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do trees just fall for no reason????

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 14:24

Broke apart due to structural weakness. There is foliage in the way but otherwise looks like maybe it was topped or broke off due to natural causes in the past, and codominant side branches finally got heavy enough to tear off. Whether it was topped or not, it is an excellent demonstration of one of the reasons topping trees and then letting replacement tops grow tall afterward is a bad idea - result is the same as if it was topped and then split apart for that reason.

Best idea is to not top the tree in the first place.

o

No there was a reason. bboy is right, this is a classic co-dominant failure on what looks like a eucalyptus tree that was topped as a control. Eucalyptus were imported from Australia into California around 1880 on as a fast growing forest tree. Thing is they grew TOO fast and have excessively populated half the state, taking over native species. As one method of control they have been cut back severely (topped) but eucalyptus vigorously and quickly grow back this kind of weak 4 way co-dominant sprout that is not nearly as strong as the original stem. This is a major problem in California and there is no easy or cheap way to control their growth (except acts of "God" like this which was really an act of uninformed men)

o

Eucalyptus do have the bad habit of dropping large limbs with no warning. I know someone who was almost hit by one while golfing.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 14:40

Must have been a pretty wild shot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here