Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fruit trees and clay soil

Posted by jafarm 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 20, 08 at 14:16

Hi,
I live in Carmel of Indiana. I would like to plant fruit trees in my backyard but soil seems to be clay and is very poorly drained. The first 5" of top soil is very nutritiou: lawn is doing really well, plus I see a lot of earthwarms in that layer. However, when I dig further, the draining ability is getting worse and worse. For example, I dug 1' hole and poured 1 gallon of water. It has been two hours and water drained only 1/16 of inch. I beleive this soil is not good for planting fruit trees. However, before quitting this idea, i would like to learn your experience with fruit trees and roses in clay soil. Any suggections and recommendations will be welcomed.

thank you,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fruit trees and clay soil

Exactly what you describe is what we have, as do most people who live in relatively new homes. (Developers take all the good soil away and sell it before building.) We hired a landscaper to plant 8 beautiful 8-foot tall Dragon Lady holly trees (for lots of $$!). They were beautiful for a few months, but then leaves began to turn yellow and drop and they all died within the year. The one-year guarantee was honored, and all were replanted. The same thing happened within the following year, all died. The guarantee was honored once again the third year, but Dragon Ladies could not be found wholesale. We searched high and low and paid retail for 8 more, which the landscaper planted at no additional cost. BUT, here on GardenWeb, some nice guy described how they were probably being planted in nice round "buckets" of clay. Sure enough, he was right. This time, the landscaper was forced to replace ALL of the soil, and GOOD soil, and enough to keep the trees alive, PLUS install drainage lines. Now, 5 years later, the trees are thriving and healthy. Frankly, I think a professional landscaper should have known better in the first place.
Wordy, I know, but does that answer your question?
BlueBars

o
RE: fruit trees and clay soil

One way to get around the problem of poorly draining sub-soil is to make berms where you want to plant. It is a pain to do, to find clean topsoil, and to make SURE that what you ordered is what you got, as well as getting/renting a Bobcat (or equivalent) to spread it all out evenly, but making shallow, sloping mounds (up to 3-4' high at the centers, more usually 12-18", and as wide and long as you want in your yard - hopefully winding in gentle curves, to give interest to a possibly flat yard), over the area you want to plant trees/shrubs, as well as mixing in perennials, will give the needed drainage, and give the trees enough room for roots to spread as needed, without needing to go straight into the heavy clay. Roots will eventually go into the clay, but enough roots will be in the lighter stuff that the trees (or shrubs) should do just fine.

Mulching over the whole area will also help - keeps the soil more evenly moist, keeps it cooler, and keeps grass and weed root competition down, as well as keeping string trimmers and waywrd lawn-mowers away from vulnerable trunks.

That said, I think I would still stay away from the plants that are VERY drought tolerant or that NEED dry feet and great drainage - lavender comes to mind, as a shrub exemplar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here