Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thatadeniumguy

Saraca New Flush of Foliage

thatadeniumguy
9 years ago

Had to Share. Gotta love those handkerchief leaves. My Maniltoa should be pushing out a new flush next week. This is my first under my care. Can't wait to see.

Comments (31)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

very cool ...

being a MI boy.. i would not be happy if a plant was growing that lushly .. outdoors ... this time of year ... as plants are supposed to be slowing down in fall.. for winter ...

and not knowing anything about this plant.. other than just flipping over to google ... does this concern you at all ...???

or is this all fine and peachy in the world of tropicals.. and your tropical z10 .. and yes.. i know its not a peach ... lol ...

ken

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually I'm zone 9b, it keeps saying that I'm 10. A friend believes were in zone 10 and our next door town is zone 10, but I don't know for sure. It's 96 outside right now. I'm sweating just standing here under an oak and I have a cold beverage too. I wish things were that peachy here. But the new growth doesn't concern mean, I won't even start dusting off the greenhouse and setting up shop until at least probably early November. And then for only about 2-3 months time. Actually, I am a little worried about the growth, I checked on it this morning and a bug seems to have chewed on the base of the stem, meaning potentially that the entirety of the new growth may now be completely lost. Actually I'm real happy how things with saraca turned out, I just repotted it 2 month ago in a 105 heatwave. I'm shocked it recovered so fast.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, the show's pretty much over. The leaves are mostly non-pendulous at this point. Lightly hanging more outward than downward. The leaves are still a little golden-green, but the colors mostly faded. At the time of posting, the leaves had already been out for about 48 hours. That means this show lasted 15 days. Way, way longer than I thought. Awesome.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

New Leaves!! Wohoo! And that second pic-- is that MORE new leaves or another thorn?

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2nd pic -- new growth or thorn? What's say yee forum members?

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is what the old - new growth looks like at this point-- the same growth this thread was originally made for. Same growth as in the first picture.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Maniltoa is taking FOREVER to hurry up and push that darn tiny green bud out into an unfurled leaf. I didn't think they took so long. 14 days and the Maniltoa growth is barely differentiate-able. Maybe a few millimeters longer, definitely looks skinnier. Reminds me of the growth of camellia, only the green buds are skinnier, much skinnier. It's still green, they must color up later down the road.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maniltoa bud close-up

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Zoom out pic of Maniltoa

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Germinated Saraca seed!! I forgot to mention I bought 5 some time ago. 4 have germinated that I can visibly tell from cracking shells.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another seed and the same as the previous

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The sprout.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Saraca flush is real pretty under the right light.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Saraca flush is real pretty under the right light.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WOW! Look how fast that growth is!!! Compare with the pictures from above.

Sorry about the double post. Mods are welcome to delete. I posted once and then lost 4g and then I checked and it wasn't there it turns out I hadn't refreshed even though the circle of death was done spinning.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Different angle.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seedling update.

Big saraca 2 flush update. The 1st foliage has elongated tremendously. I'd say 5 days until it looks like the 1st picture on this thread. I didn't get a chance to doc. That.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seedling update. Look at that elongation.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Look at that new growth.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Notice how it's lost the pendulous. The leaves have become flat. The stem as a whole still droops a little.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Look at that seedling!

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2 new flushes of foliage! Okay, now I'm concerned about this new new new foliage might not make it before the cold.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture. These are growing surprisingly well!

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seedling photo a few weeks ago.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last week's photo. Roots poking out.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2nd set of leaves already. Last week's photo.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Might be last week photo. Maybe today.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bugs are ravaging. Then again, I'm not doing anything about it. I guess it's deserved.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

An old seedling photo.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Newer photo. Still a little old. The leaves are now much bigger.