Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdchambe

help with tree id

mdchambe
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

We inherited a few beds and each of the three has one of these trees. I have no idea what they are but were probably going to take the beds out. Are these worth saving/moving?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• mdchambe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another picture.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Acer negundo. Probably don't want them unless they happen to be 'Violescens', which is pretty remarkable when in flower - like pink candy floss.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

Unlikely to be 'Violescens' Looks more like an A. negundo volunteer in a neglected perennial bed.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Not that it has to be a cultivar but the first post says there is one of them in each of the three beds. And the plant shown is about the size of 'Violescens' that have been sold in recent years.

• drpraetorius
    10 years ago

Box Elder aka Acer negundo. It's a weed. KILL IT!

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

"Not that it has to be a cultivar but the first post says there is one of them in each of the three beds. And the plant shown is about the size of 'Violescens' that have been sold in recent years."

Noted....
    From a practical standpoint, I don't know why a grower would produce 'Violescens' at such a small size when we all know A. negundo will put on +4'/yr even when growing in a container?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

man that is some hardcore drought ... especially for a BElder to be showing such stress ....

where are you??? ... you are looking like my adrian MI ....

and is there any indication .. that this was a garden of such stature that they would have not one.. but 3.. extremely rare.. piece of carp BE's????

i am leaning toward bird or wind sown carp trees.. rather than some exotic cultivar .. unless the garden we dont see.. indicates that the prior owner was a plant collector of some repute .... and frankly.. in this pic.. i am seeing an acre or two of dead grass [the drought] and an island bed here and there... which is not someone who collected exotic BE's ...

but who knows...

ken

• mdchambe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken,

I'm in central Iowa. Far as I can tell we've had less than 1/2 inch of rain in the last 8-10 weeks. Its really pretty bad.

I have no reason to think that they are a special cultivar given the other plantings and haven't noted anything special about the plants.

Thank you all for your help!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

that was my rainfall also.. my lawn???? .. more like jute mat.. lol ... looked just like yours ...

BE's are horrible trees .... and you could do a lot better.. for the decades to come...

i see other smaller trees.. deep into your pic.. your work??? .. or were those inherited also???

ken

ps: today i got 2 inches of rain.. no storms.. just 2 constant hours of pour.... probably going to have to get the lawn mower out.. lol ..

• mdchambe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What I'd give for 2 inches!

The other trees, for the most part, are ours. They include:

Bur, white, red oak
    Honey locust
    River birch
    Linden
    Serviceberry
    Autumn splendor buckeye
    Black gum wildfire
    Autumn gold gingko
    Red sunset maple
    Serbian spruce
    Norway spruce

A few various others.

Been watering weekly. I'd be more than happy to not need to, that's for sure!