Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with tree id

Posted by mdchambe 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 14:49

Hi everyone,

We inherited a few beds and each of the three has one of these trees. I have no idea what they are but were probably going to take the beds out. Are these worth saving/moving?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with tree id

Another picture.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 14:54

Acer negundo. Probably don't want them unless they happen to be 'Violescens', which is pretty remarkable when in flower - like pink candy floss.

o

Unlikely to be 'Violescens' Looks more like an A. negundo volunteer in a neglected perennial bed.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 21:59

Not that it has to be a cultivar but the first post says there is one of them in each of the three beds. And the plant shown is about the size of 'Violescens' that have been sold in recent years.

o

Box Elder aka Acer negundo. It's a weed. KILL IT!

o

"Not that it has to be a cultivar but the first post says there is one of them in each of the three beds. And the plant shown is about the size of 'Violescens' that have been sold in recent years."

Noted....
From a practical standpoint, I don't know why a grower would produce 'Violescens' at such a small size when we all know A. negundo will put on +4'/yr even when growing in a container?

o

man that is some hardcore drought ... especially for a BElder to be showing such stress ....

where are you??? ... you are looking like my adrian MI ....

and is there any indication .. that this was a garden of such stature that they would have not one.. but 3.. extremely rare.. piece of carp BE's????

i am leaning toward bird or wind sown carp trees.. rather than some exotic cultivar .. unless the garden we dont see.. indicates that the prior owner was a plant collector of some repute .... and frankly.. in this pic.. i am seeing an acre or two of dead grass [the drought] and an island bed here and there... which is not someone who collected exotic BE's ...

but who knows...

ken

o

Ken,

I'm in central Iowa. Far as I can tell we've had less than 1/2 inch of rain in the last 8-10 weeks. Its really pretty bad.

I have no reason to think that they are a special cultivar given the other plantings and haven't noted anything special about the plants.

Thank you all for your help!

o

that was my rainfall also.. my lawn???? .. more like jute mat.. lol ... looked just like yours ...

BE's are horrible trees .... and you could do a lot better.. for the decades to come...

i see other smaller trees.. deep into your pic.. your work??? .. or were those inherited also???

ken

ps: today i got 2 inches of rain.. no storms.. just 2 constant hours of pour.... probably going to have to get the lawn mower out.. lol ..

o

What I'd give for 2 inches!

The other trees, for the most part, are ours. They include:

Bur, white, red oak
Honey locust
River birch
Linden
Serviceberry
Autumn splendor buckeye
Black gum wildfire
Autumn gold gingko
Red sunset maple
Serbian spruce
Norway spruce

A few various others.

Been watering weekly. I'd be more than happy to not need to, that's for sure!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here