Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petergar

Botches on Bartlett Pears

petergar
10 years ago

First time posting for me.

The Bartlett pears from my tree have dark blotches and I was hoping someone could tell me what they are from. At first the pears looked dirty. Doesn't rub off, no damage under the skin. Is it a disease or have I somehow caused it through spraying. I used Triazicide 2-3 times. Leaves are unmarked. I have enclosed a picture. Thanks for the help.

Comments (11)

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

I like Bosc better. Do you have those?

• calliope
    10 years ago

This has been typical on all my fruits this year and also from my friend's fruits, from apple to pears and even peaches. Neither of us spray our fruit trees. It seems to be mostly a cosmetic problem. The underlying fruit is excellent and blemish/insect free. It occured on both bosc and barlett. here as well. Have you asked at the fruit forum? It didn't bother me at all.......since I had the best harvest ever and I don't sell them to markets. Not broke, don't fix.

• nyboy
    10 years ago

wow was going to post about the very same thing!!! Your look just like the ones I picked off my tree today.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

try the fruit forum .. as they do things very different than tree peeps ....

but i would bet my shiny penny... it will involve spraying ...

take your carrot peeler.. and peel them.. and then cook them like apples to make the pear version of apple sauce ...

put them in paper bags for a month or so ... in the garage... and they will yellow and soften..

here in MI... dad used to spread them on the picnic table.. and they bombed out of the tree.. and would leave them there thru about mid october.. before they finally ripened .... NOT in sun .... and the only if the squirrels will leave them alone ....

think about them being a fruit cellar fruit.. that would store for near half the winter, underground, cool and dark ..... not unlike apples/gourds/etc ... and you will come to understand.. how and why historically ... they were a winter long treat... [whereas you have to 'can' all the rot-able stuff... like tomato.. and all the fruit that has to be jellified.. to use all winter]

do not be confused.. as i was for a decade or so.. lol .. that you pick and eat these.. off the tree .. unless you have some very strong teeth ...

no one said.. organic home grown fruit is pretty.. it usually is not ...

ken

ps: why do we can things.. in glass... whats that all about.. lol ...

• calliope
    10 years ago

Well in England one often refers to it as bottling, and food in cans are in tins.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

but we digress.. lol

ken

• calliope
    10 years ago

The digressions make it interesting. ;-)

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Posted by ken_adrian z5 (My Page) on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 19:53

I am a little confused, but I thought you can buy pears, strawberries and tomatoes in winter with no problem.

I just could not find cherries or lychees out of season.

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

Sooty blotch.
    Looks like almost every pear I've ever grown or eaten. It's cosmetic only. Sure not enough of a problem to entice me to spray.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sooty Blotch/Flyspeck

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Posted by lucky_p z6 W.KY (My Page) on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 22:33

Will soaking them in bleach help? They might want to sell the pears.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Thank you Lucky for the identification. I wasn't even concerned enough, given the quality of the fruit this year, to look it up. I would never spray for this either and one reason I grow my own fruits. Commercial orchards would feel obliged to be concerned about the cosmetics of their fruit because a shipment covered in this would not sell to the public well. A woman was discussing this with my husband and told him they destroyed the whole harvest off their peach tree because it looked like this. She was heartbroken when he told her they were completely safe and wholesome.