Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sampson2001

Fast Growing Ornamental Tree

Looking for a fast growing Ornamental Tree, preferably flowering, with a rounded growth habit. I need to replace my specimen plum tree that died and don't wanna wait 10+ years for nice full tree. 10'x10' would be nice

Comments (18)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

You do realize that there is a maxim, fast growing usually means weak (limbs break) and also fast dying (aka like poplars).

Good things come to those that wait.

• sampson2001 (zone 6a - cleveland - clay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great...Dbarron...not what I asked

• j0nd03
    9 years ago

Yoshino cherry

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

cornus florida?

If you want fast results, you might be better off buying a larger burlapped and bagged tree, or a large shrub that can be pruned into a tree-like form.

This assumes that you are in an area with little wind and either good rainfall, or you plan on watering it during droughts.

• corkball
    9 years ago

I am with edlincoln. It sounds like you don't want a fast growing tree - you just want a tree that is already 10x10 and won't grow much more?
    If that is the case, some smaller flowering tree that is already 8' tall in a pot might work for you.... dogwood, crabapple, serviceberry, ornamental cherry, red buckeye, there are lots of options like this.

• Coffee4Two
    9 years ago

I'll go with ornamental cherry or crabapple as well. I've had good experience with crabapple trees and they do grow fairly well in all kinds of soils.

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Firebird Crabapple is by far my favorite for that size. Its fairly fast growing and then tends to slow down quite a bit.

One of the most disease resistant varieties out there, with very clean crisp green foilage season long, fantastic white flower show and nice persistent red berries.

Mine is about 9 years old and about 8' x 8'.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

"10'x10' would be nice"

Either I don't understand the reasoning behind this part of the original question, or, the whole basis of the post doesn't make sense. I'm not sure which.

• ilovemytrees
    9 years ago

Golden Raintree.

Gorgeous, completely wind tolerant, strong bark, and grows super fast. My Golden Raintree grew 3 ft this year.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

no tree will stop growing in your lifetime ...

and the faster it get to 10 by 10.. the faster it will shoot right past it ...

ken

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Not so buddy...there are plenty that grow fast young and slow down quite a bit. Dwarf crabapples are prime examples.

Musclewood is another one that comes to mind.

But yes no tree will magically stop at 10' x 10'.

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

If 10' x 10' is your objective, a prunable shrub might be the best choice...you can prune it to stop it from growing, and some can be pruned to look like a tree.

whaas, since EVERYONE asks these questions, it would be great to post a list of the few trees that start growing fast and suddenly slow down. Or grow fast and have strong wood.

Of course, the OTHER solution is trees that grow fast and then die before they get big...

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

"Of course, the OTHER solution is trees that grow fast and then die before they get big..."

Which seem to be the ones I select for my back yard, or as I (sorta) affectionately call it*, the Plant Sematary. ;)

*with nod to Stephen King

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

"Not so buddy..."

I'd have to agree with Ken on that. As a matter of fact, dwarf crabapples, by definition, grow slowly. Trees do slow down at some point or other, but, like Ken said, "the faster it get(s) to 10' by 10', the faster it will shoot right past (that)."

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Then I'd have to disagree with you both. At least here a Coralburst or Firebird will quickly grow to lets say 8' wide within 7 years. Then may be 15' wide at the age of 25.

Another example Musclewood. They typically grow to 8 to 10' tall in the first 6 years. They may only be 15 to 20' wide after 25 years.

Another example is Pagoda Dogwood. They typically grow 8' to 10' wide in the first 7 years. Might be 15' wide at the age of 20.

Another example is Cornus mas......

Those are examples of why I disagree with "the faster it get(s) to 10' by 10', the faster it will shoot right past (that)." as a blanket statement.

We're not talking Silver Maples, Tulip Trees, Dawn Redwood etc. here in my examples.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

Whaas, each of the examples you give are slow or slow/medium growth trees.

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Indeed, but fast when young.

• j0nd03
    9 years ago

A weeping selection of a flowering tree like cherry or redbud would be easier to train up to 10' and keep it at that height.