Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

How to root Stellar Hybrid Dogwoods?

jujujojo_gw
9 years ago

Hi, I took softwood cuttings of the Stellar Hybrid Dogwood which has pale pink large flowers of the shape between Florida and Kousa dogwoods, but bloom at the time of Kousa dogwood.

Can someone tell me how to root a cutting for my own use? This is for my own yard, not for commercial sale.

Comments (15)

• sam_md
    9 years ago

C. kousa & florida and their hybrids are not commercially rooted from cuttings. Instead they are propagated by a method known as budding, usually in July. This is an operation done entirely in the field. Since they have a genuine seedling root system, the roots are excellent. If you look on p.23 of the availability list linked you will see bareroot liners which I promise you are propagated by budding.
    This is the way the VAST majority of dogwoods, roses, fruit trees, shade tree cultivars are propagated for field production, they have never been anywhere close to a container.
    P.S. JJJJ your next question is how to practice budding which is something I cannot explain here. I would encourage you and anyone else who wants to know just do what I did. Spend a few years working with your back bent over budding and wrapping understock in the field and you will be able to do it in your sleep. You will also become familiar with every Spanish curse word in existence. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Shadow Nursery

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sam, I know budding, but I do not have seedlings. I also heard the seeds take many months to germinate and they require cold treatment.

My case is not a commercial production. So, Sam, there is simply no hope to root a dogwood branch ...

• akamainegrower
    9 years ago

It's worth a try. Wound the base and use a high strength - 16000 ppm - rooting hormone. Use half peat and half perlite as a medium. Maintain 100% humidity with a poly plastic tent. Place under flourescent lights for 16 hours per day but avoid direct sun. They may or may not root, but if they do, keep them growing for as long as you can. It's often very difficult to bring woody plants treated this way out of dormancy once they enter it.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Posted by akamainegrower none (My Page) on Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 5:47

Thank you so much. I do hear that trees are far more difficulty to root than shrubs. I don't know why that is.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

if you could gain access to the dirr propagation manual ... you could probably glean some useful information .. see link

the one thing that would help ... is knowing what roots.. 'new' wood or 'old' wood ... and the 'timing' of cutting

of which.. i know neither answer ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The rooting attempt appears to have failed. the sticks lost leaves and turned black. I just checked.

• nandina
    9 years ago

jujujojo, please do a search on GW's Propagation Forum for the postings I wrote several years ago titled "Toothpick Technique".
    The propagation method I outline there has been mostly ignored except by commercial growers who have found it an easy way to root woody plants/trees, especially those known to be difficult. And they have sent me notes of appreciation.

This propagation method comes from the combined effort of two horticulturists at the Arnold Arboretum in the 1940's and they kept it secret only telling just a handful of close friends in later years. I decided to share the method because it is easy and one can expect an almost 100% strike. Give it a try next year.

• sam_md
    9 years ago

I have linked a youtube demonstration of T budding. Either this technique or some variation of it is how virtually all of the C. florida/C.kousa cultivars and hybrids thereof are commercially propagated. This is a Summertime operation done in the field.
    If this technique doesn't suit one could use something called a Dirr Manual, the toothpick technique or else Jerry Baker's mayonaise/Listerine concoction, I'll let the OP be the judge.

Here is a link that might be useful: Youtube budding demo

• fairfield8619
    9 years ago

Mail Order Natives apparently know how to root dogwood cultivars- all the ones that I ordered were obviously cuttings, and at $10.00 each I'm pretty sure that they were cuttings. I can't imagine a graft for that price.
    The toothpick method is similar to the method in the link, it is a way to pre-callus by girdling the cutting thus shortening the time in the cutting bed. I have not tried it but plan to sometime. They even do it to pine cuttings which is amazing to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: New way to root cuttings

• sam_md
    9 years ago

Heritage Seedlings, Inc in Salem, Oregon is just about the top of the line for wholesale production of lining out stock. Here is a quote about dogwood production: Dogwoods are among the most popular of all flowering trees. These selections are notable for their resistance to the fungal disease that plagues our native dogwood. We bud ours onto Cornus kousa var chinensis in order to leverage their finer root system and greater transplant success. HS is currently producing and selling many kousa hybrid cvs including the ones that the OP is asking about.
    Mail Order Natives does not sell Stellar Dogwoods. When I see a link about a 37 year old newspaper article I just don't take it seriously. Perhaps wholesale producers bud or graft to amuse themselves perhaps out of boredom?
    Someone offer up a link of a genuine, wholesale producer of Stellar Hybrid Dogwoods grown from cuttings.
    (Pls don't bother us with Uncle Kebo's nursery and tatoo parlor)

Here is a link that might be useful: Heritage Seedlings

• fairfield8619
    9 years ago

Notice that the OP said "for my own use,my own yard, not for commercial sale"- this is not a WHOLESALE nursery operation for thousands of trees. I really don't think it matters if it is for Stellar dogwoods or any other dogwood, it would be the same thing. This a hobbyist, get a grip. Who mentioned "commercial'? Did you even read the whole post? This GW, not a treatise for growers and producers.

• sam_md
    9 years ago

Happy Halloween everyone.
    Guess what I found - linked here is the description of Stellar Pink dogwood from Rutgers and the method of propagation which clearly states budding.
    The tree dogwoods are not propagated from cuttings like the shrubby dogwoods, that's just the way it is. The Youtube budding demo I linked earlier shows the method, anyone can do it. No prop house needed, no mist beds, not even a cold frame. Someone tell me how to root a tree from a cutting with opposite buds and not have a dogleg the next year. Is there a suggestion that our answers here should be dumbed down just because this is gardenweb?
    A propagated tree must have a good success rate, overwinter well, come out of dormancy, put on growth and dig well. And that is why we propagate tree type dogwoods by budding.
    Little monsters are at my door again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rutgers Stellar Dogwood factsheet

• fairfield8619
    9 years ago

Is there a suggestion that our answers here should be dumbed down just because this is gardenweb?

Yes actually dumbed down, THIS IS GW! Nothing scholarly goes on here except by those who want to try to be egotistical. You are talking commercial and JUJU said for his own use. As I said all the tree dogwoods I received from MON were ROOTED not grafted, at roughly ten dollars each. Maybe they have a bunch of elves who work cheap but I doubt it.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by fairfield8619 Zone 8 NW LA (My Page) on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 1:44

Actually rooting is only part of the propagation. I know a way that surely makes sticks root - in a sterile environment. But the roots die after they are transferred to the real soil full of vicious fungi, germs and other micro organisms.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Okay, a friend of mine granted me two more new branches this summer. Let's see if they will root or not this year.

juju jojo's photos · More Info