Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dogwood or Cherry

Posted by kmn777 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 15:40

I am hoping to plant a tree in my front yard and could use some help. I would love a pink flowering tree. The area is in full sun and there are some power lines bordering the yard. I've been gravitating toward a pink dogwood or okame cherry. Thoughts?

Also, would this weekend be too late in the season to plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dogwood or Cherry

I've had very good luck with Okame. It's been amazingly pest and disease free for many years even though native and other cherries nearby show signs of the usual prunus problems. Unfailing bloom as well, no matter how harsh the winter. The little pink parasol blossoms are very nice if not as large or screamingly pink as some other cherry varieties.

Unless in a very favorable coastal location, cornus florida is not, in my experience, well adapted to New England. The various cornus diseases, especially anthracnose, attack the trees when they are stressed. Colder winters and less summer heat than they experience in their native range can quickly lead to infection.

Not at all tooo late to plant.

o
RE: Dogwood or Cherry

I'll go with Cherry. They bloom best under the sun than in shady spots. Both trees are susceptible to some diseases and pests but in general, Dogwood tends to have fewer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here