Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lpalta_gw

Blue Spruce HELP (Pictures)

lpalta
9 years ago

Every November we plant a blue spruce. They have been doing beautifully up until this year. The top of the first tree we planted is turning brown. The first image is a closeup and is even worse since this picture was taken last month. OMG, is it dying? Can it be saved?

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lpalta/library/Blog%20Photos

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lpalta/library/Blog%20Photos

{{!gwi}}

Comments (7)

• lpalta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I should have mentioned, they are Colorado Blue Spruce, and I live in Upstate NY, z5.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

in photobucket.. find the html code.. and paste it where you type.. on preview .. if you see it we will see it ...

PB spammed me [pop ups started sprouting like mushrooms on rotting wood] .. when i tried to open these blog pix .. i will never do such again ...

ken

EDIT: for interpretational typing.. lol ..

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 7:32

• lpalta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OMG, I am soooo sorry. I will take my computer to my brother to rid me of any spam/viruses on my computer. I am 74 and not all that computer literate.I hope I have done the following correctly. I clicked on the images in PB and copied line that says HTML?

{{gwi:436532}}

{{gwi:436533}}

The top branches are all a bright yellow.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

no ..no..no ...

photobucket spammed me with popups.... NOT YOU ...

dont worry about that ... leave bro alone.. lol ...

the one that is damaged.. might be a goner .... perhaps its root system was bad when they dug it from a field ...

the others look fine ...

you need to insure proper watering ... see link about watering ... and lets discuss how you water them ... if you have any uncertainty ....

they are conifers.. and there is a conifer forum ... ONLY if you are interested in other conifers.. conifers are trees.. so we all hang out here also ... no need to duplicate your post there ...

the lawn looks rather weed free... was it sprayed with weed killer.. any time this year???

its been less than a year... do you have a warranty ... and if so... talk to your seller ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• lpalta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This was the first of six blue spruce trees we have planted. It was only three feet high when we planted it six years ago. We plant one every year. The grass does have weeds but we mow it regularly to keep the weeds down-can't afford weed killer. This is the first year this has occurred. So far the other trees are doing well.

• akamainegrower
    9 years ago

There are several insect pests - spuce bud worm, several species of moth - that can cause this sort of damage as the larvae feed on the new growth at the tops of trees. They are often tiny and very hard to see - try a magnifying glass. Your County Extension Service or state agriculture department are the places to go for help in identifying the problem and suggesting remedies for your area.

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    9 years ago

I would look for white pine weevils.....they attack blue spruce.....
    Take a look on the stems where the browning begins....you may find holes/sawdust where the larva are feeding below the bark.....