Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ikea_gw

black locust problem

ikea_gw
12 years ago

We bought our house about 3 years ago and the previously there was a black locust tree about 8 ft from the house. The previous owner cut the tree down before we moved in but the tree tried to send up shoots every year from the stump.

Is it a bad idea to have a black locust tree that close to the house? I don't think the top of the tree will hurt the house but I worry that the roots will damage the foundation. Any thoughts on this?

Comments (9)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

Cut it out and kill it. There are worse trees to have that close to the house, but not many.

Dan

• ikea_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dan, I already tried cutting it down to the ground several times. It doesn't seem to kill it. Any thoughts on how to achieve this? I would prefer to not having to use chemicals.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

When you cut it down, immediately paint a weedkiller containing the active ingredient triclopyr. That material is moved into the roots and, over time will kill them so now more sprouts.

But you need to repeat the cut and paint every time you see new growth. Best time to do it is fall, when the sugars are moving into the roots.

If you don't want to use weedkiller, then simply dig to the base of each new sprout, then yank it off the larger root it arises from. This method does work but requires a longer period of time than if you used the weedkillers as described above.

Whatever method you use, the goal is to starve the roots.

In any event, it may require several years. It's your new hobby.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

It's your new hobby.

Agreed. I don't know how well copper nails would work on that one.

Dan

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

I know you said you preferred not to use chemicals, but, IMO, that's the sensible way to address the problem. A very small amount of a relatively safe chemical (at least safe on a per use basis and for this application-trying to avoid the philosophical hypotheticals) can do the job very well and save you possibly years of continuous effort. Either triclopyr (Brush-B-Gon, Garlon, etc) or glyphosate (RoundUp, Gly-4, etc) can do the job well. Use them in their concentrated form and apply them to the freshly cut phloem. It's also important to treat all the suckers (not just a few or a few now and a few some other day).

• ikea_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will give the triclopry or glyphosate a try then when I get a chance. Thanks guys!

• brad_s
    12 years ago

Black Locust makes great firewood if that's any consolation ;-)

Another good time to cut these down if you wish to minimize the post removal root sprouting (sorry..no way to *completely* eliminate the root sprouting) is to whack it down to the ground in late spring as soon as it sets flowers. At this time of year it has exhausted the most of the energy that was stored in the roots from the previous season in order to make the current year's leaves and flowers. Treat the stump with herbicide as others have described no matter when you take it down.

- Brad

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

When using systemic herbicides, I find fall (before dormancy) works best. I get absolutely zero sprouts on most anything I treat at that time of year. The chemical is pulled down into the root system, as the sap is moved down, and works extremely effectively.

If I wasn't going to use herbicide, I'd definitely prefer doing the removal in spring just after the tree leafs out, for the reasons Brad described.

• stevelau1911
    11 years ago

I just cut down a 2ft diameter black locust which was sending shoots all throughout my flower beds, and into my neighbors garden. I'm going to guess that these shoots will persist for a few years, but my idea is to drill some holes in the cambium of the tree stump, and inject some stump killer into it.

There are thousands of roots within about a 40ft radius so it's almost impossible to dig them all out, but I would guess that after so many years of continual mowing and shoot removal, the roots should run out of energy.