Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

We have a Frost advisory tonight. Does anyone else?

ilovemytrees
10 years ago

I'm going to go out and put a tomato cage and blanket over just one tree, my Golden Raintree.

It just put out a huge growth of foliage and I don't want it affected by the frost. It'll all go limp and turn brown.

I looked up the dates for our first frost, and it isn't supposed to happen til the first week of October. So this is a little surprising...

Comments (13)

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

What? Where are you located? We're in the same zone(s) and the AC is running like crazy, with an overnight low forecasted at 65 tomorrow.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

What? Where are you located? We're in the same zone(s) and the AC is running like crazy, with an overnight low forecasted at 65 tomorrow.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

the spectrum of z5 ... makes the words.. nearly meaningless ...

ken

• User
    10 years ago

So far, still need AC. One cool day tomorrow, then more warm/hot sun. Getting dry here now. I think we are gonna have a very dry Fall.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

It's been a while since we ran the AC, but it also is probably going to be a while before we have frost.

We had a dry fall once. It was such a relief not having to plan leaf pick up around the rain.

• canadianplant
    10 years ago

theweathernetwork says frost warnigns fr gaspe and new brunswick in canada. I can only assume the states bordering those areas will have some as well. I think they said some slight risk in the ottawa-montreal corridor as well. If not frost... cold...

• Karolina11
    10 years ago

Yeah NE PA, NY, and some of the northeast. I am supposed to be a 40 low here in central PA. Hopefully it doesn't drop much lower.

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mulchmama,

I'm pretty much on the border of NY and PA; Western, NY.

Well, we forgot to protect our little tree. We were too busy putting up drywall tonight, and completely forgot about it, til I remembered it just now. I'm almost tempted to wake up dh. lol

But I won't, and I'm not going out there in the dark, there's too many bats, and if a vole ran under my foot while I was out there in the dark my scream would effortlessly wake the neighbor's, so what's done is done.

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We did indeed get a frost. :(

It was a light frost, but I don't think that probably matters when it comes to my little tree. It's dripping wet right now.

There was no frost near our house. It was only located further out in the yard.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

44F this morning. Summer is a warm memory...

• arktrees
    10 years ago

Alas, summer has lingered longer than usual this year in my part of the world, and it's getting very dry again.

Arktrees

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

We might dip into the upper 40s tonight.

Ark - we were WET through early July, and then it was as if someone just turned off the spigot. Dry as dust now, at least in my immediate vicinity.

The eastern part of MD is still wet.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

72 degrees right now late in the evening...just a couple degrees off the typical daytime high. Should be in the lower 60s right now.

Quite a few days in the 80s coming up this week. I'm done with summer.

Last year and now this year I'm going to enjoy fall and winter more (well except Jan and Feb, lol).

The rainfall graphs for July and August are sad yet again this summer.