Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frio River Bald Cypress

Posted by jayhawkfan56 5b KS (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 17:32

Anybody here have any experience with taxodium distichum 'frio river'? I'm in kansas and we don't have the best ph soil for taxodium usually but someone was telling me about a frio river cultivar that can grow in pH 8 soils with no problem. Wondering about cold hardiness and drought tolerance.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frio River Bald Cypress

They can tolerate alkaline soil better but no idea about cold hardness. Usually, you see them growing right into limestone bedrock along the rivers and springs around central Texas. No knees but they grow lava-like roots over the bedrock.

Good thing about central Texas BCs is that they are less likely to grow knees compared to others going in the east.

They have good drought tolerance but the needles do turn brown if they go too long without water to preserve water inside. They come back whenever it starts getting water regularly.

o

Mine are definitely cold-hardy to upper Z8! Will be very interested to know how cold tolerant they prove to be. Please repost on this subject when you've tried them. We're are not sure of their exact pH limit, but as mentioned, they grow on top of limestone rock shelves with caliche clay soil and black top soil with bits of limestone in it. Definitely will thrive in 7.5 pH and I suspect 8.0 pH will be ok also. Their color has a tad more blue-green than std. bald cypress.

o

I googled to see if anyone was selling FR BC and found this site where it was auctioning it and it happened to be in Kansas.

From the site -

DESCRIPTION

Prairie Wind Aquatics

1413 W. Mary Street

Garden City, Kansas 67846

620-276-0700

Bald Cypress “Frio River”��"50’H x 25’ W��"Pyramidal shape, drought tolerant, grows in various soils, this variety tolerates our high PH soils, classed as a shade tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: FR BC

o

I think the source for BC was Frio River and it says zone 5 from that nursery in New Mexico. Probably would have to email to find out for sure. I just recall someone telling me that it was from Frio River.

Here is a link that might be useful: BC from New Mexico

o

Bald Cypress don't do well in zone 5, maybe if you were border 6 you have a shot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here