Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
subtropix

Still in flower

subtropix
9 years ago

Which trees are still in flower for you?

For me, it's Little Gem Magnolia and Crape Myrtle.

This Crape is Dwarf Hopi.

Comments (20)

• sam_md
    9 years ago

Prolly shouldn't be driving and taking pics at the same time.
    Not really a tree perhaps but I can certify this one is not half prickly.
    {{gwi:437909}}

• subtropix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Do you know what it is?

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    9 years ago

Looks like Aralia spinosa or Aralia elata.

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Yes, looks like Aralia - what a huge group!

• poaky1
    9 years ago

We have those Aralia "whatchamacallit" shrubs in bloom on the side of the highways here also. They are pretty, but seem too "wild" to plant one in my yard.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    9 years ago

My Heptacodium is now past its prime, but still blooming. Peak blooming time here is around the 2nd week of Sept. Great plant for pollinators (honeybees, bumblebees, butterflies, hummingbirds). A hummingbird was at the flowers again this morning. IâÂÂm seeing monarch butterflies on it regularly this year - only saw a couple all of last year (hopefully that means they are recovering from very low numbers last year). Heptacodium is also very attractive later in Oct when the dark red calyces expand.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

I notice no monarchs this year. Not a one. At first I wondered about the bitter-cold winter, but they migrate from Mexico so shouldn't be an issue. Saw a fair number last summer on flowers & milkweeds.

In fact there is a dearth of some insects this summer (butterflies, moths, cicadas, katydids, wasps -- even gnats) -- might very well be due to this past winter. Honeybee numbers seem a bit low but OK on the goldenrod/asters right now.

Last hummingbird left about 12 days ago. Good number of them this year -- four or five regulars & occasional trespassers during migration.

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Seen alot of hummingbirds, dragonfly, firefly, bumble bees and RABBITS!

Everything else has been limited...butterflies, hornets, wasps, lady bugs, etc.

Sorry nothing to contribute for flowering trees right now. Only have Seven Son Flower but its barely flowering.

Hydrangea paniculata, roses and mums are stealing the show as of now.

• subtropix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just saw a Monarch today at a garden center, but I agree butterflies of all kinds are down this year. Regarding their migration from Mexico, it was my understanding that they accomplish this in waves. So that the first generation leaves Mexico for Texas, then the following year, there is an exodus fromTexas into the Northeast, USA.

It was a terrible Winter here and Summer was a bit on the cooler side of normal (not as weirdly cool as it was for the Midwest or even the South). Maine was even warmer than normal (I was there this Summer, so can concur). Now, according to long range forecasts, we are supposed to be warmer than normal on both coasts with continued chill in the middle of the country. There is growing dryness too now as the hurricane season in the Atlantic has been dead so far.

This is my Little Gem, which can flower till about Halloween.

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Regarding their migration from Mexico, it was my understanding that they accomplish this in waves. So that the first generation leaves Mexico for Texas, then the following year, there is an exodus fromTexas into the Northeast, USA.

Not quite - the migration is done across multiple generations but all in a single year. So one generation leaves Mexico, lays eggs in Texas (perhaps), then those lay eggs in Iowa (again, an example) then another generation is born in a more northern section and they turn around and repeat the cycle southward. For those that overwinter in Mexico, the year starts and ends there. I think some overwinter in southern California too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch migration

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

My parent's Rose o Sharon is just starting to bloom.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    9 years ago

Texas kidneywood (Eysenhardtia texana), a small tree or large shrub, is still blooming. Crape myrtle show is on the downside, but several still holding flowers here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eysenhardtia texana

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

My Spathodea (African Tuliptree, photo below) took a recent two week pause to form a new flush of blooms; other than that, it has been going strong for at least 5 months, and counting.

The Tecoma stans has been in heavy, constant bloom since March 2013. Not a typo--the winter was exceptionally mild last year, and the darn thing just kept spewing flowers! It never ceases to amaze me how many flower clusters they produce.

The Arbutus Marina is producing yet another round of flowering. Sometimes it has been heavy, sometimes light, but it just keeps cycling.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Not a showy flower, but Chinese elm bloomed its little flowers ~20 days ago w/a buzz of honeybees & a week later an abundance of little winged-seeds growing.

But yesterday I heard the bee-buzz again. Thought it couldn't be the elm -- it already bloomed & formed seeds. But inspecting the branches showed there was a second-flush of little flowers further up the twigs. Never seen that before.

• sam_md
    9 years ago

Groundsel Tree is pretty common around here. We see it along the roads. This time of year it looks like it's covered with snow. Actually the fluff is called pappus which is a term unique to the composites.
    {{gwi:437910}}

• Persimmons
    9 years ago

My camelia roses just won't quit flowering despite the cool, dry weather. No trees in bloom, however. Everything is showing the signs of an early Autumn here in southeast MA.

• sam_md
    9 years ago

I had our head butler take this pic this morning in front of the summer cottage (JUST KIDDING)
    This beautiful CofL was brought from the Holy Land to Maryland in a shoebox 150 years ago.
    {{gwi:437911}}
    I am eternally grateful that all of the caretakers have resisted the urge to remove the bottom branches over those years.
    {{gwi:339277}}
    But why would someone post about CofL on a thread entitled "Still in flower"????

• sam_md
    9 years ago

My previous pic taken Oct 6 of Cedar of Lebanon. It was in full bloom, breezy day, clouds of pollen everywhere.
    This pic of Common Witch Hazel is in full bloom today. Flowers are very pale yellow. Without the dark conifer background one might pass by and not notice the flowers.
    {{gwi:437912}}

• terrene
    9 years ago

Hi Sam is that Hamamelis virginiana? I have a youngster about 3 years old, hasn't started blooming yet, and needs to be transplanted to its permanent location. Very helpful pic! I will put it in front of something evergreen.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Here in Zone 8 sasanqua Camellias are beginning to bloom. I started this one from a cutting.
    Mike
    {{gwi:437913}}