Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ikandyxotics

Ash or Wild Cherry ?

iKandyXotics
11 years ago

I have a couple trees growing and I have been told by many people that they are wild cherries. I have my doubts , they look to similar to the ash trees. In your opinion what do you think they are?I have more phots , was only allowed to upload one.Tried to cover up leaves from another tree .

Comments (20)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

we need pix of this trees leaves ...

insert second or third pic.. in new replies ..

ken

• Iris GW
    11 years ago

An ash has a compound leaf with leaflets. The leaves are arranged opposite one another on the branch.

A cherry has a simple (single) leaf with toothed margins. The leaves are arranged alternately along the branch.

• lovestogrow
    11 years ago

Just by looking at the bark it looks like the cherry trees I have at our farm. Pictures of the leaves could confirm it though.

• iKandyXotics
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a photo of the leaves thanks :)

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Definitely a cherry; likely Black Cherry Prunus serotina.

Resin

• iKandyXotics
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay awesome !! I was really really hoping it was a Cherry ! Now , if it will fruit...

• jqpublic
    11 years ago

Not that kind of cherry. It's the cherry that they make furniture out of. In the south black cherry is very short live and will die within 10 years or less.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

the fruit are about as big as a pencil eraser .. bitter as God knows what.. have little of no usable meat on the fruit.. as the pit is micrometers smaller that the eraser ..

and distributed by the millions by bird poop ...

of no use as a fruit tree .. imho ...though i suppose if you collected a couple billion.. and added 50 pounds of sugar.. you could make something edible out of them ...

or some kind of ink or coloring with the deep red color ...

as above.. i refer to the as the furniture cherry ...

a fresh cut branch.. in the right season.. will have a slight fragrance of red pop.. for a second or two.. after bruising the bark... and i mean ephemeral ... either that.. or someone once said that.. and its all in my imagination ...

ken

• Iris GW
    11 years ago

In the south black cherry is very short live and will die within 10 years or less.

What?! Prunus serotina, wild black cherry, does live longer than 10 years and can become a good sized tree. I have some of them.

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

"red pop"......lol!

Esh, are you in the mountainous area of N.GA? That throws everything off a zone or two.

+oM

• iKandyXotics
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have these trees all over my lawn !! It is hard to keep them down !

• salicaceae
    11 years ago

No, wild cherries are long lived here. The cultivated species and cultivars are short lived though.

• Iris GW
    11 years ago

I am about 30 miles north of Atlanta, not considered the North Georgia mountains (unless I'm trying to sell my house ...).

• jqpublic
    11 years ago

Per a very reputable local resource. "Though Black Cherry can become a fairly large tree in the Appalachian Mountains, in the Piedmont and Coastal Plain it is very susceptible to disease and tends to be small and short-lived."

I've never seen anyone log a black cherry in Raleigh. You can take that to the bank. The money bank...

Here is a link that might be useful: Black cherries in nc mtns pied cp

• ChrisPope
    9 years ago

au contraire jqpublic. While perhaps not "logging" in the strictest sense, I just finished building a dresser with wood I milled from a fallen wild cherry in my yard. It is beautiful wood. I'm here in Raleigh; which bank would you like to meet at??? :)

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Ken, my experience is that, at least for a small black cherry on my lot, if you wait until they're a bit overripe (wrinkled), the black cherries not only lose most or all bitterness, but are even sweetish w/the characteristic strong flavor. Below are some:

• salicaceae
    9 years ago

Your reputable local source is wrong. There are many, many large 50 + year old wild cherries in the lower coastal plain. They don't get as big as the southern Appalachian Mtns., but that is more due to better soils.

• jqpublic
    9 years ago

Wow, my post from two years ago still left fresh wounds. I'd love to see pics of mature 30+ year old black cherries in the south.

• HU-917323973
    3 years ago

Hey, JQ -- I'm 76 years old and there's a living black cherry tree still standing in the back yard of the house I grew up in. That tree was at least five or six feet tall when i was 10 years old, so from germination it has to be AT LEAST 70 years old. And if you will do a little research, you will see that 70 is not all that old for a black cherry. That particular tree is diseased now, due to severe damage suffered during a windstorm several (10? 15?) years ago, but it is far from dead. And until the damage occurred, it was still very healthy. My location is north central Mississippi, where timber and logging are huge industries. I can assure you that black cherry trees reaching 50 to 80 feet tall -- and FAR, FAR in excess of 10 years old -- are extremely common in this area.

Maybe you are confusing the ornamental cherry (average lifespan 15-20 years) or the chokecherry (average lifespan 40 years) with the wild black cherry.