Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
duren27

Evergreen Shade and Privacy Trees for Houston Texas

duren27
9 years ago

I live in Spring, Texas, which is in climate zone 8b. I am interested in planting some shade trees that will grow to at least 20 ft along the back side of the fence in my backyard to provide shade and privacy along my fence line. I have approximately 5 feet of space to plant the trees between my fence and pea gravel sidewalk. I need the trees to cover an area of approximately 70 feet.
I do not have a sprinkler system in backyard and do not want one. I am willing to water the trees for a period of time to make sure they get rooted, but I want to have trees that can survive without a sprinkler system. I would also prefer trees that are green all year round and do not shed leaves and berries.

What trees would you recommend with nondestructive root structures that will not tear up the concrete decking in my backyard?

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

no tree ever needs a water system ..

transplants need water for at least one year ... second year in drought.. and should be free range by then ..

see link for planting and watering suggestions ...

your zone is so foreign.. i have no specific suggestions ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

Maybe the Texas Tree Selector will help you narrow down the field?

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Tree Selector

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

How wide of a canopy do you want on the trees?

What is on the other side of the fence, by the way? Will neighbors mind a large canopy spreading over their yard?

Perhaps you really just need a tall hedge? If you need a wide canopy for shade, you'll get falling debris in the pool. All trees drop leaves, flowers, etc. No getting away from that.

Maybe you need wide canopy trees further away from pool and then more upright hedge plants along the pool portion of your fence? Something denser and more refined than a tree?

For along the pool, small trees such as Terstroemia, Yaupon holly, Sandankwa Viburnum, Callistemon, Podocarpus, Oleander, Pittosporum, Feijoa, Camellia (shade), Wax myrtle, Osmanthus fragrans, Sophora (Tx Mt. Laurel), Dahoon holly or hybrids, Satsuma mandarin or Kumquat if hardy, 'Teddy Bear' or 'Baby Grand' Southern Magnolia, Cherry laurel 'Bright n Tight' (possible berry issue) would be nice and evergreen.

Heck, maybe even some palms?

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 10:07

• duren27
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have narrowed my choices down to the Japanese Blueberry and the Wax Myrtle. Which one would you recommend and why?

• rusty_blackhaw
    9 years ago

If you want a tree that gets to at least 20 feet in height, wax myrtle is probably not a good choice. It's decorative enough if you have at least one male and one female plant to produce the berries, but it's really a shrub and not a shade tree.

Japanese blueberry will get to 20 feet...eventually (it's a relatively slow grower).

The evergreen requirement will be a limiting factor for you (lots of great trees out there for Houston including flowering interest and colorful fall foliage, if deciduousness can be accepted).

Fences also make good screens, though not much shade.

• yellowchristi
    9 years ago

Curious about what you ended up planting along your fence. I am looking for the same type of tree/hedge. I also live in Spring. Are you happy with what you ended up with? Would you have made the same choice if you had to go back and do it again? I already have large fan palms along my fence but in the past 9 years, they have grown to be 25-30 feet tall and we can clearly see our neighbors behind us. I need to put something between the palms. I have had wax myrtles for a previous home and loved them. You can use them as hedges or trees depending how they are trimmed. Wondering if there are any other options before making our decision.

• hjherpich
    9 years ago

I would love to know if you decided to go with the Japanese Blueberry Tree. I am in Baton Rouge, and in zone 8b, and wondering how this will do in our back yard for privacy, and also if they are a good choice for a yard with a swimming pool (flowers/berries shedding?).