Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_fristoe

Sunscalded Autumn Blaze are being replaced with my tree of choice

Bama_Joe
9 years ago

I wanted to get opinions on whether to go back with two Autumn Blaze (or other pretty maples) or see what my other options were. I currently have 1 Autumn Blaze Maple out front, two sawtooth oaks at the back edge of my property and the Nursery will be replacing the sunscalded Autumn Blaze Maples out back. He asked if I wanted to try them again (wrapping them this time, go with an October Glory, Japanese Elm (gave me directions to a house where he planted two of the Elms 5 years ago. This started out as just two Sawtooth Oaks to bring in some squirrels for my German Shepard Duke to chase, but he was diagnosed with Discoid Lupus and I decided to plant two more trees to add shade during the hot months (it is aggravated by sunlight). I had thought about going with an October Glory for one of them to change things up, but wanted to get opinions. I love bringing wildlife in and the acorns have nuts covered already. Bring on those strong opinions everyone has. I do need at least a moderate grower to bring he shade on faster and plan to plant 25 gallon instead of 15 this time.

Comments (4)

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

I believe October Glory is more southern-heat tolerant than Autumn Blaze.

Sawtooth oak is native to Asia. Plenty of native oaks to choose from. But this time, perhaps go with a hickory? Squirrels love them too.

Faster grower would by the tuliptree (Liriodendron tulipifera).

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

If you have pretty consistent moisture a limbed up metasequoia grows as fast as anything and is unique.

You can google all about it.

Strong points are:
    Straight smooth trunk if you limb it up.

Similar to the native bald cypress.

It had pretty darned decent peach fall color.

Is shaped right to be as hurrican sturdy as anything.

Relatively pest and disease free.

They have a neat story also. Until nineteen forty something it was thought they were extinct. We knew them from millions of years old fossils all over the world. Then a grove was found in China. WWII got in the way, some seed was brought back. Now they grace botanical gardens across America and some yards. They're somewhat rare so all your neighbors won't have one but easy enough to find with the google.

Whatever you pick good luck. Sounds like a nice nursery u are dealing with.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:351170}}

• akamainegrower
    9 years ago

It's good that the nursery has agreed to replace the Autumn Blazes. Either October Glory or a sugar maple cultivar are pretty good choices if you want fall color and (eventually) a very large shade tree. Not sure about these choices, but many maples produce huge amounts of seed which produce vast numbers of seedlings that must be pulled out each spring.

I'd avoid the Japanese elms. They are susceptible to Dutch Elm Disease and to my eye are not a particularly graceful tree, at least the ones I've seen.

If you're primarily interested in fall color and have the needed soil/climate conditions, not to mention the nursery's agreement, all of the following are great colorful trees: Oxydendrum, Katsura, Bloodgood Japanese maple, Parrotia, Scarlet oak.

• jcalhoun
    9 years ago

Joe,

Where are you located?

I'd recommend not using large trees to begin with. They take a while to get established and are prone to wind damage and other maladies. Cost a lot more too. The small trees (under 5 ft) will usually outgrow the large trees and look better doing it.