Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two trees in one

Posted by niclavg texas (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 18:29

About a year ago i removed a dead orange tree from my backyard and planted a new kumquat tree in the exact hole. Now, 6 months later, I have two tall branches with larger leaves and spikes coming directly off of the kumquat tree. Could this be an orange tree some how growing through the kumquat tree? Please advise. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two trees in one

The rootstock is different and that has started growing. It could be anything, lemon, sour orange, trifoliate orange.. Someone else will make a better guess.

o

It is likely that you will eventually loose the scion (kumquat) if you don't remove the rootstock sprout. The sprout will vigorously outgrow the kumquat and the graft will be likely be dropped. If it were me, I'd prune off the sprout ASAP.

o

we would need a pic of the trunk.. where the two different plants attach.. to explain any further as to how to proceed...

good job protecting your plant.. from the idiot with the weedwhip .. lol ... i spotted the utilities back there.. and said to myself.. that would quickly become a garden bed.. so i wouldnt need the weedwhip ...

ken

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 14:22

Lots of flowering cherries and old rhododendrons (these used to be grafted instead of grown from cuttings) around here where people have never cut off the rootstock sprouts. Grafted plants often have to be watched for this if you aren't going to end up with most of the top coming from the roots instead of the variety you wanted originally.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here