Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
willow oak tree

Posted by fmart322 Z6SNJ (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 18:32

I was given a willow oak tree, quercus phellos, in begining of the summer in a pot. Roughly 4 ft tall.
I could not plant it because I had a broken leg so I kept it in its pot and watered it daily, sometimes twice a day.

Sadly, when I went to the shore for 3 days, I came home to a tree that had all of it's leaves dried up.

I left the tree in the shade inside a shallow rubber made container and soaked it before I left, then put about an inch or so of water in the container. My neighbor was going to keep an eye on it for me but he had a death in his family and forgot. His mother passed.

Now, I've been watering it everyday like before but I'm not seeing any new leaf growth.

When I scrape the bark with my finger nail there is green under the bark.

I'm starting to think it's done.

I know pictures would be great but I don't know how to post them from my cell phone.

Should I give up on it, plant it anyway or continue to try and nurse it in it's pot?

Thanks in advance.

PS: the tulip poplar I planted a few years ago is close to 20+ ft now thanks to the people who helped me here. It looks great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: willow oak tree

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 21:54

Look at the roots.

o

Even if it's still alive, it's unlikely to grow new leaves this late in the year. It probably just went into an early winter dormancy, and may releaf next spring if the roots are OK.

o

Ok, so there's some hope. What should I look for in the root system? Just over all life I guess.
If the roots look good then it's ok to plant now? Any special treatments or tips?

o

Ok, so there's some hope. What should I look for in the root system? Just over all life I guess.
If the roots look good then it's ok to plant now? Any special treatments or tips?

o

no treatment on a stressed plant... except proper water...

if the roots are all shriveled... its probably dead ...

if there are white tip ends.. there is hope...

i would not expect an oak to releaf this late in the season ...

quit scratching it.. and plant it.. it either leafs out next spring.. or it doesnt... and there is nohting else we can tell you ...

post us a pic of the roots.. maybe we can see something,...

planting guide at link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Quit scratching. Funny.
I bet the trees saying the same thing.

o

Be patient, you will lose nothing by waiting to see what happens in the spring. Keep the roots moist, not saturated, and hope for the best. Oaks are pretty tough trees.

o

I figured I'd be somewhat ok. I didn't panick because I had trees lose leaves before due to hot dry weather. Just never one in a pot.
I knew I would get the right advise from this tree message board because its full of knowledgeable posters.

o

You are more likely to lose the leaves in a potted tree than in ground. I have had potted stock get away from me and go nekid and be just fine. Like said, prolly not this late in year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here