Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Do you think rabbits will chew through this?

whaas_5a
10 years ago

Looking at using a netting similar to this product but with smaller holes to surround my backyard as a temporary fence in the winter.

Anyone have any experience with rabbits avoiding or chewing through something like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Netting

Comments (14)

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

With 2 X 2 mesh I don't think the rabbits will have to chew through the mesh. While they look large with all of the fur, if the reward is big enough, they can go through some amazingly small holes.

Also unless you stake the mesh down all most ever couple of inches the length of the netting the rabbits will go under it.

You may consider revising your attitude about rabbits. I have found the best way to prevent the frustration with deer, rabbits, chipmunks, etc, is to plant enough plants that they can not do any damage to any single plant, and then enjoy them

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey knuttle,

The mesh I'm looking at has 1/2" x 1/2" holes. I planned to use landscape staples every 5' or so.

My main concern is when there is snow on the ground so that should keep it well secured.

The problem with rabbits is what the flavor of the day is. Once they go for a plant they demolish the hell out of it!

Too many rare plants, mainly conifers, that are available for the taking.

I keep thinking about mice, where you have to use steel wool to stop em, but not sure if rabbits are as dilligent with chewing through plastics.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

I used to have 2 pet bunnies, and they can destroy plastics very easily if they want to. This may seem like a dumb suggestion, but it works for me for something short like a bunny. At Dollar tree if you have them in your{{gwi:439745}} area. The one with tomatoes in it. I cut the bottom off and pin it down with metal U pins for weed fabric securing.

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

If the rabbit is sufficiently motivated, they will go through the mesh. Good food, and snow on the grounds sounds to me like good motivation.

Are you having any problems with squirrel, skunks, raccoons, etc. They too will be attracted to a good meal.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i have seen... in the middle of a 4th of july party ..... a cat.. spook a rabbit out of a plant ... and it being chased by a 100 pound plus.. very fast dog...

GO THRU A CHAIN LINK FENCE... at speed ...

some fur was left.. but we never saw that thing again ...

you wont do this... but your problem is your monoculture lawn ... in my meadow.. which i mow like a lawn.. i have rabbits eating in the lawn? .. and rarely bother the plants ... in other words.. i offer a salad bar.. and they leave my plants alone ....

i really wonder if you can fence out rabbit.. on the scale you are working .... since i dont recall you having a fence ... and a rather large yard

is this just a winter fence idea???

ken

• ilovemytrees
    10 years ago

That was a funny story, Ken. Thanks for sharing it. It made me laugh out loud.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

knuttle,
    No problems with anything else. My lab, the neighbors outdoor cat and woodchucks seem to keep other animals at bay. There is one side in particular that they congregate which is on the left side. I think they live under the spruces in my neighbors yard over there.

Ken,
    This would just be a temporary winter fence so I'm open to other ideas. I do see rabbits munching in the lawn during the growing season but they seem to stay outside my yard because of the dog.

Poaky,
    Good idea for smaller individual plants. I've used hardware cloth in the past and just hate using it. It stores terribly too. I just have too many plants to protect at this point. This view is about a year old. I'd estimate 500 to 600 plants? For perspective the American Lindens lining the drive on the left are about 60' tall and 40' wide.

I might skip the mesh for now until I put together a final cost. But the mesh is pretty cheap at Menards. If I can save three $50 plants I might win out in the end. Might try the sprays too. I've heard if you mix up the brands in a given year it helps with the results. For example Liquid fence one month, then Plantskydd the next month.

{{gwi:439746}}

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

Yes, they will.
    That mesh looks not unlike the net on my wife's tennis court. The rabbits have cut several places in it - and no tasty seedlings on either side of it.
    If you want to exclude rabbits, you need a wire cage of some sort.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

I have seen bunnies twice before make their nests in my dogs yard. You can guess what happens. Each time was in a different yard though. It was likely the cats that killed the baby bunnies the second time. Sorry if I veered off-topic. We tried to save one this spring, but it died soon after we found it. Whass, it looks like you've been busy planting since you had posted some pics a while ago. I can never plant close to the house and be comfortable with it. I tried to make beds for perennial non-woody plants and met with some opposition here from some sour a**es. Well, congrats on your yard whass.

• Sequoiadendron4
    10 years ago

That's a pretty sweet layout you have for yourself there! IMO what you've done is the best use for a yard :) How big is your plot?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Nice layout, whaas, but holy mulch monkey, my back hurts looking at all you did. Many of the conifers you have are for winter interest, it would be hard on the eyes to look at fencing all winter...even black fencing. Definitely try the Liquid Fence/Plantskydd first. I have never had an adult rabbit (no bunnies in winter) go through my 2x3 inch green vinyl coated mesh fencing, they simply move on to something easier. Buy a 50 foot roll of either 3 or 4 foot high and keep it on hand to wrap individual plants that the Liquid Fence/Plantskydd doesn't hold the fur rats off. The fencing near each tree will be nearly invisible.

tj

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

I wish I had some rabbits. They make for an awesome stew.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gents, thanks for the comments! Its come a long way in 3 years. I have just over a 1/2 acre.

I found a guy on craigslist that helps out with the mulch. He fills the cart and I spread the mulch. As the evergreens fill in hoping to use less much every year. Next year I'm finally putting in ground covers, mainly juniper and sedums.

I ended up finding this pretty sweet, inexpensive product. Its 4' tall and comes with sleeves that slide over those green fence posts. Then there are pockets in the fencing. Its like a tarp/nylon product. Very strong stuff and easy to work with and store.

At $20 per kit for 50'...not bad. I'm only doing the problematic areas. 100' on the side where the lindens are then 100' on the back right side. $80 for a reusable fencing...yes please. Its not perfect but worth trying out to see what results I get.

Here is a link that might be useful: EZ Pocket Fence

• corkball
    10 years ago

I find chicken wire works pretty good around individual plants. It is hard to keep them out of a large area, and i wouldn't be surprised if they got through that stuff.

I also have issues with voles, and you need tree guards to keep them off :(

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida