Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsqx_gw

Japanese Maple. Which variety is this?

Dsqx
9 years ago

Hi, I'm planning on buying this Japanese Maple from a person selling it locally but I wanted to know the variety of Japanese Maple. The only info the seller has on it is that it's 5 years old and it's about 7' tall. Here are some pictures...

Comments (7)

• Dsqx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close

• Dsqx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Closer

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

If it's not grafted, it's a seedling derived maple with no name.
    Grafted, it has a name, but I don't know it. There are many many varieties.
    Mike

• Dsqx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mike. I'm not to new to landscaping so forgive me if I didn't understand your comment. Are you saying this is a "generic" Japanese maple? Would you say it's valuable or worth digging out? Thanks again.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Valuable? That depends who you talk to and how it measures up to other Japanese maples.
    Collectors and nurseries need a name, otherwise it's almost worthless in their eyes. With a name it has known characteristics and can be compared to others of the same name but grown in different conditions.
    Seed grown Japanese maples, for the most part, are better looking than they would lead you to believe. Transplant it and grow it for a few seasons and judge it for yourself for your purposes. No cost except a little work and space.
    I have grown hundreds of seedlings and very few are really 'bad' and not worth growing. Most of those are runts.
    Check out my maples at the link below. All but four have been grown from seed.
    Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall in the garden

• Dsqx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is that your garden Mike? Jesus!...I've never seen a more attractive garden in my life. I've been to Kenroku-en and Kairaku-en Garden in Japan and even the Japanese Garden in Oregon and I have to say your garden is right there with them. Did you plant all those trees? I still can't fathom how nicely landscaped your yard is. Your pictures make me want to rent a bulldozer and clear my half acre of sod to plant a forest of trees. Are those Japanese Maple the ones you started from seed? How old are they? Once again, incredible yard!

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I started out with a bulldozer and pushed all the low spots up to the higher areas, in effect reversing all the settling since the last glaciers melted here about 14,000 years ago. Here's an old picture of me having fun on one.
    {{gwi:439775}}
    Yes, it's my garden and I planted all the trees except the older native trees. All the maples, but four, were started from seed by me starting about 35 years ago. I'm 70 now, and so far, in good health. I can still run a chainsaw, swing a shovel, and climb stairs. ;-)
    The garden will be going through a major transition this Fall and Winter. It's about time. Things have grown larger and faster than I had originally figured on. So now it's time for some serious editing, pruning and relocation.
    Thanks for the compliment. Much appreciated.
    All pictures, unless otherwise, noted are of my garden.
    Mike....near Maple Valley, Wa.
    {{gwi:328228}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of my garden...mostly.

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions