Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianplant

Can someone ID this tree and vine please?

canadianplant
10 years ago

Dont think ive seen another tree like this one around town. The vine is growing in someones garden

Comments (16)

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tree

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The leaves

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The vine

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mistake

This post was edited by canadianplant on Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 19:24

• cacau
    10 years ago

Does the tree bear sticky oblong nuts about 2" long?

• sam_md
    10 years ago

Celastrus orbiculatus or Oriental Bittersweet is what the vine looks like to me. This is a noxious weed for us. People sometimes us it to make holiday wreaths. I don't know if it has worked its way up to Canada yet. It pulls up easily and has distinct orange roots.

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cacau - I have never seen the tree flower or set any fruit or nuts. It would be way easier to ID if it has. It looks like a carya or walnut to me.

Sam - Looks like a bittersweet of some sort. Again, I have never seen it fruit or flower so I cannot say what one, but thats a step closer then I was thanks!

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

I would say the tree is almost certainly a walnut. I have no idea about the vine.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

Agree with the vine being a Bittersweet. Likely Oriental Bittersweet but could be American. Need to see the fruit to identify properly.

Bark on the Walnut (it is definitely a walnut) suggests a Butternut or more likely, a Butternut x Japanese Walnut/Heartnut. That's Juglans cinerea or Juglans cinerea x ailantifolia (x bixbyi).

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

I also agree the bark is unlike any j. nigra I have seen so that might not be a likely candidate. I am totally unfamiliar of other walnut species, but we have j. nigra all over around here.

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks a lot guys!

Its safe to say the vine is some sort of bittersweet...

The tree seems to at least be "juglans". Ill see if i can take better pictures. With a closer look i may notice some seeds or spent flowers/catskins.

Im sure the bittersweet is easy to propagate, but what about the Juglans? If there are no seeds i guess id have to try cuttings?

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Black walnut has darker bark, so I'd guess butternut. A couple nuts would confirm it.

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have yet to see any seeds or even flowers. :The tree is pretty old. Im tempted to take cuttings. Its a nice tree.

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have yet to see any seeds or even flowers. :The tree is pretty old. Im tempted to take cuttings. Its a nice tree.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

Good luck with those cuttings! It's possible but not for the beginner....

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetative Propagation of Juglans cinerea

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Leaves and branching habit are those of the butternut/Asian walnut types - with the leaves being primarily like those of butternut. Big wound in trunk with cut off branch inside not promising.