Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Is this a Scarlet oak leaf?

poaky1
9 years ago

I have a pic of a leaf from a ginormous red oak family oak, I think it is Rubra or Scarlet maybe Nigra. Any guesses? {{gwi:440369}} also, the same tree {{gwi:440372}} There is no fall color yet, the yellow leaf was on the ground for a while I THINK, unless it is it's fall color.

Comments (14)

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Not Q. nigra, that is water oak. Perhaps you mean Q. velutina, black oak.

I don't know either way. If you can find an acorn with a cap, that will help narrow it down.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did mean Velutina, sorry. The acorns were small and looked most like Scarlet oak, but I am going by a field guide book picture. I didn't know Scarlet got as massive as the tree the leaves are from, the field guide says 3' diameter, I guess that is just an approximation. I will just guess it's Scarlet oak by the leaves and acorns.

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Can we see a picture of the acorns?

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't pick any. The tree is up in the mountains not too far from me. I will try to get some soon, but I am not sure when my next trip up there will be. I may go up tomorrow, but I am not sure. I will try to get up there.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Such big leaves are more likely from black oak, but still could be scarlet oak on a vigorous shoot. Trunk bark can often distinguish between black & scarlet. Almost certain they are NOT northern red oak.

Most oaks can get huge with good conditions & time, including scarlet and black.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a pic of the tree in question, I should've posted before, Duh. {{gwi:440375}} {{gwi:440376}} Any idea now?

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Looks like black oak is the best match for the bark. Black & scarlet have similar, small acorns, black maybe slightly smaller, w/larger leaves.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't get up the mountains yet. I wanted to get home after running errands today. I needed to get my greenhouse put together again and a bunch of other stuff. I will get up the mountains soon, I hope the squirrels don't eat all the acorns. The acorns were tiny, so I hope the good ones are yet to fall.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I finally got up there today. Here's the acorns {{gwi:440378}} Any guesses now?

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

I think those look like black oak, Quercus velutina, based on the slightly unglued look to the cap scales.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

I second velutina. I've seen enough of them that I have a mental picture in my mind, of them.

Dax

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks esh and Dax, I am glad I took home some acorns. I picked up the yellow leaves from the ground, prematurely dropped, but, I am hoping the acorns produce a Yellow fall foliaged tree. I love the form of my current Velutina. Thanks guys.

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Drop those acorns in water and see if they sink. If they float, they got weevils! Although apparently sometimes even one with weevils will sprout.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Esh, They are good. No Floaters. There's no holes in them. I spread most of them in a wild area, but kept 2. Dax, suggested keeping some of them, a "collection" of sorts for future reference. I think 2 should be a good sampling. Those I spread all sunk, but the area is weedy and they will need to take on some thuggish weeds to make it. I also pitched some Chestnut oak acorns in there, if any acorn will make it they will. My Chestnut oak has dropped so many, the ground is covered in most spots, and I have a giant mulch circle under it for shade plants. I know someone who is a hunter, I may give some to.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012