Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gregp731

Pink flowering dogwood

GregP731
10 years ago

Planted in end of June, replaced an old dead pine tree on top of a "mound" in my front yard, we had just purchased the home.

Put plenty of lime in the hole and also used some horse manure along with native soil.

Tree doesn't look so hot. Wilting leaves, dried out. What did I do wrong?

Comments (6)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Greg, if it looked ok till now I bet you did ok.

Here we had a dry hot spell in August and any summer transplanted dogwood that survived would have had good owners. Mid summer is just a rough time to transplant.

So tell us more,

Is this mound in full sun?

How close to the dead pine's spot was the dogwood planted and how big of a pine are we talking about?

If it was big, did you have the stump ground and did you have the grindings removed?

How large of a dogwood transplant are we talking about?

Oh, and what part of what state are you in? Here it is about the end of the growing season.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

It could easily take that long for "plenty of lime " to create problems.
    That, and unknown planting and after care practices are suspicious factors in my mind.

I am curious as to why lime was placed in the hole.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

That was my first thought also - why the lime?

• GregP731
    Original Author
    10 years ago

1. The pine was about 15-20' tall and we ripped the stump out with a pickup and chain.. Some of the larger roots are left in the ground and were cut with a chainsaw to get the stump free. The dogwood was only about 4' tall when it was planted and it was planted in the same exact spot as the pine.

2. We live in NH

3. The lime was used in all my dad's wisdom. The thought process was pine trees like and make acidic soil, and the soil was very sandy when we planted. He claimed you can "never have too much lime". He's also the type of guy that thinks he knows everything about everything. Maybe that was my bad listening to him. We used a whole bag of lime.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

"never have too much lime".

whoa........that's a pretty risky concept and the actuality is somewhat closer to the opposite. In fact, too much lime is worse than not liming at all. An entire bag for a single planting hole is overkill.

Fwiw, pine trees (or any other conifers) do not make soils acidic - that's the gardening equivalent of an old wives' tale :-)) Acidic soils most often result from the base rock that comprise their mineral content and also from the amount of rainfall - rainier and more urban climates tend towards more acidic soils than more arid areas. The pines just grow in the soils they prefer......which happen to be acidic. And for the most part, the vast majority of other plants also prefer slightly to moderately acidic soil.

Before attempting to replant, get a proper soil test to determine current soil pH and adjust as necessary. IME, liming unnecessarily tends to be one of the biggest gardening faux pas - folks just take it as a matter of course that you must lime. This is easily one of the biggest gardening misunderstandings. But unless you have overly acidic soils, you may never need to lime. Only a soil test will tell you for sure.

• GregP731
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So in your opinion it definitely needs to be replanted? Or should we wait til spring and see how t looks?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths