Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deal_gw

Need help identifying tree

deal
16 years ago

I've had all kinds of suggestions about what kind of tree this is, but I'm not sure any have been correct. The tree is growing in a shady spot in English Ivy behind my garage.

{{gwi:440924}}

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: more pics

Comments (14)

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

Should be a Black Walnut (Juglans nigra)

• deal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks treeguy. Juglans nigra was one of the things I had considered, except that branches don't seem to have a dark pith and I've never seen fruit on the tree. Do all Black Walnuts fruit?

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

You might not see a pith perhaps because the branch is young new growth. Yes all Black Walnuts fruit once they reach the right age. Open-grown trees in full sun such as out in a feild may produce a few walnut when only 4 to 6 years old, more commonly 8 or older.
    Most Black Walnuts if grown in part to full sun can make a few as young as 12 years old but Black Walnuts produce the largest crop of walnuts when they reach 20 to 30 years old or older.

There is a chance it could be a Butternut (Juglans cinerea) but this tree is more rare in GA. If you live in extreme northern GA there's a possibility it could be this. If you don't live in extreme northern GA then it should defiantly be a Black Walnut.

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    16 years ago

Looks like a pecan leaf to me (carya illinoinenis).

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

I was thinking of a pecan also but I put it out earlier because that bark does not look like a pecan (more like a Walnut). But after looking at the twigs they look a little thin to be a Black Walnut so there's a high chance of it being a Pecan (Carya illinoinensis) also the leaves look more similar to Pecan than Walnut.

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Looks more like Pecan to me too. To confirm, take a twig, and slice it lengthways up the middle. Chambered pith = Juglans, solid pith = Carya.

Resin

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

I don't know what it is (quirky not toogood with those 7+ leaflet trees) but I can say with certainty it's not a b.w.

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    16 years ago

I have pecan trees everywhere here, and the bark varies from tree to tree. Some are very shaggy, and others much less so, especially if they're younger. You'll find pecan trees in the stangest of places because squirrels bury the nuts wherever they can find (just like walnuts).

There's also the remote chance it could be pecan X bitternut hybrid, but I'm sticking with straight pecan.

• deal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. I sliced another twig, and here's what it looks like.

{{gwi:440925}}

The pith is actually a little smoother than it looks in the picture. The knife action disturbs it and gives it the more grainy look.

So, based on other pictures I've seen, I would say that this isn't a chambered pith?

Here is a link that might be useful: more pics

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

I'll say it's defiantly be a Pecan (Carya illinoinensis) after looking over everything more carefully. Pecan trees are monoecious meaning they have male and female flowers on the same tree. Pecans ripen in September and October and are dispersed from September through December on Pecan trees. The minimum seed-bearing age is 2 to 4 years in some cultivars but more commonly the age for Pecan production starts when the
    trees are about 20 years old.

• cacau
    16 years ago

The chambering of the pith doesn't develop in Juglans spp. until the second year, so make sure you're not slicing this year's wood. I agree with those who say the leaf reminds more of pecan. Black walnut leaflet counts usually average over 15 with the terminal being less developed than shown here, or else absent.

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

Yes, like cacau said new green or first year growth won't have the chambered pith in the Black Walnuts.
    It still looks like Pecan to me.
    Here is a comparison of Pecan and Back Walnut from our trees:
    {{gwi:440926}}

• lucky_p
    16 years ago

Pecan. As cacau noted, J.nigra won't have a terminal leaflet.

• pineresin
    16 years ago

"As cacau noted, J.nigra won't have a terminal leaflet"

It can do - it varies from absent, to present but small, to present and as large as the other leaflets. I've seen the full range of variation on one branch of a single tree, too.

Resin