Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drc215

Oak tree or ???

drc215
9 years ago

Do all oak trees get acorns? Our house was built in 1977 and I am guessing that this tree was planted by 1980. We moved here in 1988. I am posting a picture of the leaves, trunk and the tree. Never has acorns, leaves turn brown in fall and most of them stay on the tree thru winter.

Comments (13)

• drc215
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trunk of tree in question.

• drc215
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is a six foot fence behind the tree. Sorry picture is so dark. The neighbor had cottonwoods growing on the east side of the tree on the property line. Cut them down about 4 years ago. Tree has started to fill out on that side but I am sure it will take years.

• drc215
    Original Author
    9 years ago

duplicate error

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by drc215 on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 19:51

• poaky1
    9 years ago

My guess is Quercus Velutina. The Black oak has orange color in the trunk bark, which I do see in your pic, and no fall color also, my GUESS is Q. Velutina. I may be wrong, though, but i THINK I am right. The leaves will also be thick with velus hairs underneath.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Northern red oak.

• drc215
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Read about both the red oak and black oak. Disappointed that my tree does not turn red in fall, just a boring brown. Also learned that sometimes it takes years before acorns grow. No fuzzies on the bottom of my leaves. I am wondering tho, what are those two yellow fuzzy balls on the bottom of the left leaf?

Thanks for your help!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

That is kind of gall, I believe caused by very small wasp - I have many on leaves of the oak. Read that they are 'cosmetic', but still don't like them. There is a lot on my tree.

Rina

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Oaks very prone to a variety of harmless galls. Learn to love em, or at least ignore them...treatment would not only be difficult, but a lot of guys (like me!) would probably yell at you for wanting to use pesticides for so harmless a situation!

N. red oak is what it is....OP's tree I mean. Very high-quality legacy tree. Should outlast us all.

+oM

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Oaks are prone to TONS of foliage-blemishing issues. The vast majority cause little to no actual damage.

I've found that while individual Q. rubra and velutina specimens can have good fall color, at least half turn just brown around here. The other half can vary from red to yellowish to brown, depending on conditions that year.

As far as lack of acorns, most 35+ year old oaks should produce some, but it wouldn't be out of the question for them not to at that age, either.

• drc215
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No problem +oM, would only consider pesticides if they were needed to save the tree. The leaves on this tree have always been marred by rusty colored spots. Been living with that for 27 years but I have wondered if the tree is not getting nutrients needed to prevent the rusty spots.

But since the tree continues to grow each year I figure it only needs water from me when there isn't enough rain.

Thanks everyone!

• poaky1
    9 years ago

My neighbors 24 yr old Q. Rubra has had acorns for a few years now. I know the age because I planted it.

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

A dozen or more Q.rubra, planted bareroot here in 1996, as 3-yr seedlings are producing their first acorn crop (and not all of them doing so) this year.
    Most bur oaks planted at the same time - and since - have begun producing good crops of acorns at 6-8 yrs of age.

Sometimes you just have to wait...

• drc215
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks poaky and Lucky. My husband says be careful what you wish for...do you really want to clean up acorns?

He is so right!