Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagation of Texas Sage

Posted by campeador (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 6, 10 at 19:53

I have some beautiful Texas Sage bushes that I would like to take cuttings from. I understand that a mix of half perlite and half sphagnum moss would be ideal, but can this be done with root stimulator and amended soil? Any other tips to consider?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagation of Texas Sage

a cursory review at the link seems to suggest seeds are the way to go .. but also hard and soft wood cuttings...

timing is everything ...

and most likely.. the ability to provide humidity is usually the hard part .... as i presume you dont have a mister system ...

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 7, 10 at 20:46

Leucophyllum frutescens propagation - Verify that you are not working with a patented cultivar. Take approximately 4" cuttings from firm new growth (semi-hardwood) in summer after the plant has flowered. Remove foliage from the lower portion of the cuttings, and apply 0.3% IBA rooting hormone (optional). Insert the cuttings into a moist, well-draining rooting medium such as half perlite and half sphagnum moss. Keep the medium moist (not wet) and they will root in a few weeks.

o

• Posted by txmom North Texas (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 18:43

While mine was in full bloom, we were having a retirement party. The cuttings were STUNNING in vases all over the room. Everyone was talking about them....lucky me...saved on the flower budget!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here