Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingo2001

RareFind Nursery Japanese Stewartia

I needed a replacement for my dying apple tree, and thanks to all you guys here on the tree forum decided on a Japanese Stewartia. The only ones I could find locally were multi stemmed and honestly just looked crummy. And they were $$$$. I ordered from RareFind and couldn't be happier! Emailed with a question prior to ordering and got an immediate response. Able to choose ship date - it shipped Monday and UPS delivered it mid morning on Wed. Beautifully packed, the tree looked like I just picked it up myself this morning. Thought I would post some pics so you can see. And BTW I wound up getting a Daybreak Magnolia for another spot that I "needed" a tree for! Thanks for everyone's input!
Julie

Comments (22)

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Partially unpacked.The root ball ( pot is removed for shipping and wrapped in plastic ) was tied securely into the base of the shipping carton and all was reinforced.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Actual tree! Looks good! Sorry for the pic quality - on my phone and rushing to unpack to get out the door for work :)

• drrich2
    9 years ago

Keep us posted on how it does in your location. I considered one myself, but we get some hot, dry stretches in summer.

Richard.

• rogerzone6
    9 years ago

They are great. Luckily or unluckily for me they are within driving distance. Customer service is aces.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

like xmas in sept.. eh???

congrats

need the planting guide? ... see link .. dont go all.. ITS MY BABY .... on us... lol ... treat them like the trees they are ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Yes, everyone who can should visit if possible. They actually had to sell quite a few of their less important rhodies to stay afloat after Hank's death, but it doesn't seriously impact how impressive the display gardens are at all. I hadn't planned to be a semi-serious rhododendron collector until I visited there in 2006. The "brain trust" of the staff is quite impressive.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 12:10

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes it IS like Christmas in September! I would love to live close enough to visit them, they have have a wonderful selection and beautiful plants - although I'm sure it would not be good for my checkbook! If anyone out there is hesitant about mail order, go for it! You will not be disappointed :) thanks all for your input and helpful links/ planting advice.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

Great nursery--wish I could see it in person. Great employees too.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Looks like it came out of a shade house, you may see some foliage burn before the leaves color and drop. Next year it will leaf out in the new exposure and be adjusted.

Root ball is tiny for size of top, stout stake also implies there may be issues in that area.

Which is a pandemic problem quite likely to be encountered, and a major reason to view woody plants in person before purchase whenever possible.

If you get a lot of hot weather there a partial shade location may be a good idea.

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Kind of like this Ron? The roots up top are actually coming up from the bottom.

I showed them this and they said the rest of the plants are probably the same so they didn't ship another yet they are still for sale!

At least I got my credit.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

In fairness to Rarefind, as bboy said (is he Ron or, Whaas are you for some reason referring to Ron the horticultural manager at Rarefind? You don't make it 100% clear your order came from them) the problem is pandemic. I discussed it with them this spring in fact! I was saying to [Rarefind!] Ron I've now seen it in plants from multiple other nurseries...including the more insiduous "hidden" version I've already discussed, when the plant is potted up w/o correcting this, making it superficially appear to be OK when the black pot is unsleeved. He said he's specifically instructed their nursery workers on correct up-potting procedures including resetting the roots. So, they are very aware of the problem. I've bought quite a few trees there in addition to rhododendrons: I've only seen it on a couple rhodies in small pots.

In my opinion, this plant might still be saleable IF the roots are pliable enough that they can be unknotted. I once bought some Abies firmas that were MUCH more over-confined than this. I hacked and twisted...broke a few but got them back to some semblance of radial order. Those trees have grown like absolute champs- now both hitting 3 ft. of growth PER YEAR without fertilizer! So this problem is not the end of the world, if it is corrected...but at the very least the nursery should provide advanced instruction on how to deal w/them at planting time, and or offer a credit. As apparently happened.
    Everyone at Rarefind has a true passion for horticulture...believe me I know I've spent a time talking plants with all of them...and trust me, they want you to have a good experience with your purchases. If you have an issue, by all means contact them.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

So whaas, to clarify are you saying your picture is of the same sized Stewartia from Rarefind that you purchased earlier this year?

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Oh, fwiw, I can think of another. An Abies pindrow from Forestfarm had the problem, at least as bad as Whaas's picture. Again, I hacked and twisted, in fact having to secure one particular root, as though I was resetting a broken bone, with a big wad of lumpy clay subsoil. It was also pushed over by a rutting buck but it survived that. Anyhow it gives every indication of starting to take off after about 3 years, as well. So, as has been said, a pandemic problem that can happen to the best of nurseries.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok so not what I wanted to hear lol! I have not yet opened the plastic bag to see what the root ball looks like, waiting for planting day to open it. It's currently shaded under a big spruce tree. I was sort of hoping the stake was there for shipping. Is it ever recommended to use one of the "Start Right" type root stimulants when planting some of these guys with small root masses? I've not used it before but of course the nurseries try to sell it along with amendments for the planting holeðÂÂÂ

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Looks like a very decent size rootball. Just go thru it carefully, dingo.

And a 'Daybreak', nice.....

Dax

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

"Is it ever recommended to use one of the "Start Right" type root stimulants when planting some of these guys with small root masses? "

I don't suppose it can be harmful. But many academic horticulturalists like Linda Chalker-Scott would probably say unnecessary.
    A fair warning to you: I bought a beautifully grown (at least it appeared so) Stewartia from Colesville Nursery years ago. Had a huge rootball relative to the size of the plant: though I must add, knowing what I know now about the up-potting problem, I have to admit I didn't search deeply for circling roots. Planted it in what I thought was a perfect lightly shaded spot and, by my lax standards, gave it great after care. Well, the first summer 2010 was hot but it seemed to be OK. I had to water it a few times but it looked to be establishing. Then another hot summer comes along...2011. This time, the period around Hurricane Irene brings an absolutely obscene amount of rain. I can't remember if it officially died that autumn, or early the next year. They are _not_ easy to establish except in very salubrious, maritime climates. Your plant being smaller probably helps...the one I planted was huge comparatively. They can be suspectible to root rot and general flakiness. (no pun intended) So, be careful with that thing. Plant it on a slight mound.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 9:56

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Root stimulators aren't required but you could get some added benefit.

I'm assuming we're looking at a 2 gallon, 1" caliper, 6' plant. So I'd say its grossly undersized. 5 or 7 gallon pot would be appropriate. Perhaps I'm off on the pot size.

The good news is that the plant is showing good vigor, nice color and a regular habit.

I've been told and have seen that when you have a plant like this (pot bound but healthy) its not necessary to beat and cut the hell out of the roots. Just tease and pull out those outter roots. If you see an encirling root either work it out or snip it back. Otherwise you're doing more harm than good.

Overall you have a nice tree and should establish itself quickly.

Dave, yes that is from RF. They immediately gave a credit so no issues except that didn't want to send a replacement...see the rest of my comments.

I also received a nice Sheri's Cloud from them BUT they did not ship on my requested date. Instead chose a random date that feel on a very hot holiday weekend. So bascially a 3 day ship took 6 days as they shipped on Thursday before a holiday weekend. Thing was beyond fried as there no holes in the box either. Again immediate credit so they get A+ for service.

RF fall sale...enjoy!

20% off any order = 81410
    25% off $50+ = 81520

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

"I have not yet opened the plastic bag to see what the root ball looks like, waiting for planting day to open it."

Actually, with ANY plant that comes with a wrapped rootball like this, you want to open it upon receipt. I believe the instructions they include probably say that, though I've only gotten a couple small mail orders from them because I usually buy on site. I know the instructions from other nurseries definitely say to do so.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 10:35

Original Author
    9 years ago

I have opened the top enough to water, but the way it's taped up I don't want to unwrap & have the whole thing sort of fall apart on me. Small holes for drainage. seems ok from what I can see.
    Julie

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Why don't you plant it Julie? I wouldn't wait, that is, unless that apple isn't gone yet. Mulch it and water it and keep it watered and it will be a lot more happy than not being in the ground. But as I eluded to, you have to knock the soil off the root-system to check the entire root structure and prune any necessary problematic roots. You want all roots heading down and away from crossing into the center of the rootball. Some you will be able to straighten on site but really woody roots that may be circling or are "J" shaped and woody and heading into the center will need to be chopped at the straight point.

Dax

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Dax ! I had planned on getting it in the ground Sat. but wound up spending like 2 hours on a horribly pot bound little Acrocona so I didn't get as much done as I planned. I want to get this guy planted! Apple tree still there but I can plant this and we can take the apple tree out next weekend.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Awesome.

Dax

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm