Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toronado3800

Got fall yet? (pics)

Ogon a white ash and hyacinth bean plant.

Comments (76)

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Some honeylocusts.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Beng, that's about the most vibrant yellow I've seen in a Swamp White Oak.

We're getting great yellows from the hickories and tuliptrees this fall.

Seems to be a good "yellow" year. Last year was a more orange/red year.

Still plenty of deep reds and purples so far, but oranges seem to be trending more towards the red side (sugar maples) around here, I think due to the nights in the 30s and 40s early this month.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

There are some GOOD colors from the Ashes this year, too - such a damned shame they'll all be dead in 5 years from what I've been hearing (more sitings of EAB locally).

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Hair, the swamp white oak has a couple of acorns already.

Yup, yellows -- even some nice yellows on black walnut nearby. Most yrs that isn't the case.

Very good fall-color & should continue for a few more weeks.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Swamp white oak bark:

• basic
    9 years ago

Larix laricina

• basic
    9 years ago

Populus tremuloides and friends

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Sweetgum

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

A bit blurry, but this Aesculus flava (Yellow Buckeye) is a nice yellow.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Sugar maple.

• basic
    9 years ago

We're in a stretch of great weather and decided to leave the fall chores behind to enjoy the beauty of Black River State Forest.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

We get some decent color most years, but nothing compared to the Upper Midwest, Great Lakes, and New England.

WOW.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Acer japonicum, 'Aconitifolium', Fernleaf Fullmoon Maple. It appears the rest of the leaves will turn red in a few weeks. Can't wait.
    {{gwi:442781}}

{{gwi:442784}}
    Acer circinatum, our native Vine Maple. This picture is looking northeast just behind the house.
    I live near a town called Maple Valley. It used to be called Vine Maple Valley.
    Mike

• basic
    9 years ago

This has been a very good year for fall color: intense and long-lasting. Let's hope winter is just the opposite...

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Nice couple of sugar maples.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Blackgum (Nyssa sylvatica)

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Bitternut hickory (Carya cordiformis)

This post was edited by hairmetal4ever on Sun, Oct 19, 14 at 15:00

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Nice red sweetgum. Smaller Liriodendron just behind and to the left.

This post was edited by hairmetal4ever on Mon, Oct 20, 14 at 12:37

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Zelkova

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Red maples

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Appreciate your pics, hair. Bitternut is a surprisingly common forest tree, here at least, and towers over the surrounding canopy. One close by is easily over 100' tall.

The large, wide scarlet oak you show well above is impressive too.

Here's a large bitternut near Hagerstown, Md in the limestone soils w/a selfie:

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Small & past its peak, but still an attention grabber -- 9 yr old sourwood:

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

The Liriodendrons are nice this year, too, but for whatever reason, I haven't been able to get a good pic of one. Most of them I see along the road while driving, and don't want to wreck trying to get the pic.

• basic
    9 years ago

Quercus ellipsoidalis. I've got a woods full of this oak, which range from brilliant scarlet to dull brown.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Well, my 2 Q. Alba's are making a liar out of me, they are turning burgundy/ burnt red now after the ugly yellow green and brown that is on some leaves, go figure. I will take pics soon, there are a few red oaks with red starting, they are Nuttalls oaks and a possible Shumard. My swamp whites are yellow with mostly tan, Beech is getting yellow etc. Nice ellepsoidalis Basic.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Would you say that Q. ellipsoidalis is possibly superior to Q. coccinea for some situations?

I'd lean towards coccinea being more reliable in color overall...

• basic
    9 years ago

Good question and hopefully one of the oak experts will share their thoughts on these two species. From what I've read, some botanists aren't even sure they're separate species. Q. ellipsoidalis is very tolerant of marginal sandy soils, so that might be a situation where it is superior to coccinea. A downside of ellipsoidalis is its susceptibility to wilt, but I'm guessing Scarlet Oak is also.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Yeah, it's my understanding that all Oaks in the "red" group are susceptible to oakwilt. That would include Scarlet, Hill's, N. Red, Shumard, Nuttall, Black, Pin, etc...

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

There's actually a nursery hear that I saw selling both coccinea and ellipsoidalis. Odd me, since Scarlet is native here and fairly well known, but Hill's Oak is not. When I saw the trees neither species was in fall color yet, but it just made me wonder if there's a specific reason they were selling ellipsoidalis as well as coccinea.

Looking at them, I really couldn't tell them apart from one another aside from the labels.

• terrene
    9 years ago

NHbabs and Whaas, beautiful color you had up north this year! Wow the Sweet gums are gorgeous - I have a youngster, about 8 years old, not showing any color yet. I hope it has color like that when it grows up. :) Many nice yellows and gorgeous maples on this thread. Basic, that Quercus ellipisoidalis is outstanding!

It's almost cliche, but I think Acer saccharum is the queen of fall color. A local cemetary has many gorgeous sugar maples that evidently they have been planting for over 100 years. I stopped by yesterday to check them out, unfortunately they were mostly past peak, but there was still some color.

A couple of old-timers still holding their leaves, in the older part of the cemetary - these are at least 100 years old.

This post was edited by terrene on Tue, Oct 21, 14 at 19:35

• terrene
    9 years ago

In the newer section of the cemetary, there are younger, but still gorgeous sugars growing.

• terrene
    9 years ago

The color is amazing...

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

I agree Terrene. Sugar Maple is the queen.

That big one in the first pic is amazing!

As far as sweetgum, it seems to me sweet gums actually color better further south. They were touchy as far as fall color in Ohio when I lived there, sometimes freezing while still green, but here in Maryland that usually color pretty well. Since they actually seem to start coloring earlier here than they did there, it makes me believe that it has something to do with length of growing season more so than day length or temperature. I could be wrong about that though

Oaks seem to be either outstanding or barely worth mentioning (so far) this year.

• nurseryman33
    9 years ago

Sugar maples in Wisconsin on 10-18-14.

• Elektron
    9 years ago

Nyssa sylvatica

Thought it was neat since it's not supposed to grow this far west. It's only the second one I've seen around here.

This post was edited by Elektron on Wed, Oct 22, 14 at 4:54

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

We had wind and 2" of rain overnight. LOTS of leaves down. The pair of sugar maples I posted a few days ago are now both almost entirely bare of leaves.

• terrene
    9 years ago

Yes they do go by fast. But I love that colorful carpet of leaves that a sugar maple makes underneath the trees. They even look pretty in the road in the pic that Nurseryman posted, although I know they are a hazard on the pavement.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Had given up on this little ginkgo that I grew from collected seed ever coloring well -- usually frost just blackens the leaves & they fall in a day:

This post was edited by beng on Thu, Oct 23, 14 at 17:17

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Shellbark hickory, with northern catalpa behind/right:

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

I never thing of Catalpa as having any color really. The one I had back in Ohio just stayed green until a freeze killed them. Seems anything below about 28F would just turn them to mush, and they would quickly fall.

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

Here's mine. Baby sugar maple on Hole #8.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Acer truncatum 'Fire Dragon'
    last week completely green

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Taxodium distichum 'Mickelson' aka Shawnee Brave
    Green last week too

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

That little sugar maple is amazing, littlebug! Is it a seedling tree or a cultivar?

Dax - I'm glad to see Fire Dragon colors up well in more northern areas and not too late to avoid freezes. I was thinking of one myself (zone 7 MD) and thought it would do well, but also for my dad in Ohio (zone 5/6) and was concerned based on reports from the South that it might color too late in Ohio. But since it does well in IL it probably would do OK in OH, too.

No color to speak of on the baldcypress here yet, but I expect it very soon.

• ogarib
    9 years ago

American hornbeam and dwarf fothergilla to the left.

• ogarib
    9 years ago

Sourwood about two weeks ago.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

I love Sourwood, but from what I see they're almost painfully slow-growing. As in, they look like shrubs for 15 years.

• ogarib
    9 years ago

Yeah, it's been in the ground for three seasons and it's barely grown a foot.

• terrene
    9 years ago

That sugar maple on the golf course is such a brilliant orange and with the back lighting it almost looks like glowing coals. No doubt it's a cultivar, to have such exceptional color, and being in the middle of a highly cultivated landscape.

The Sourwoods are really nice - I knew they had great color, but had no idea they were so slow growing. I'm still adding it to my wish list.

• Elektron
    9 years ago

I had to comment on the sugar maple as well. It is beautiful.